Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ancestry.co.uk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 18 Mar 2004 14:16

Hi - I am thinking of registering with ancestry.co.uk so that I can have access to 1851 and 1891 census. Has anyone registered with this site? I would like to know (before I spend money) whether or not this site is worth while. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Carol in Rochester, New York

Carol in Rochester, New York Report 18 Mar 2004 14:27

Hi Valerie, Currently, Ancestry.com has the 1891 census on-line and is working on bringing us the 1871. I personally think it,s a good buy.

Valerie

Valerie Report 18 Mar 2004 14:50

Thanks very much for your response Carol - do you know if all counties are on this census or is it just a select few. The county I would be searching is Nottinghamshire I did read your warning Christina - and have taken note. I have also been reading lots of comments and I note that you can actually buy census on CD's - where do you get them?? I am finding this site very useful with everyone's comments - so thanks again guys.

Warren

Warren Report 18 Mar 2004 15:37

As well as the census - it also has codes for birth, deaths for all the areas. I have found this useful as though family members may not be in the 1891 census, there may be connected codes for them (I have found this myself).

Valerie

Valerie Report 18 Mar 2004 16:54

Hi - thanks to everyone who responded. I am very knew to this - only started two weeks ago, so I am finding this a little difficult at first. I am totally HOOKED though. thanks again.....

badger

badger Report 18 Mar 2004 19:36

If you dont have any luck Valerie ,try the U/K Census collection,only trouble is its a pay to veiw ,but is very good.denis .

Jill

Jill Report 18 Mar 2004 23:59

Hi Valerie, If you are just seeking info on census, try freecen. Jill

Christina

Christina Report 19 Mar 2004 01:23

Read my warning, posted today, be very careful how you subscribe. Many people have had problems. A lot has been posted previously on the records office message board.