Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Extra eyes need to help read will

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 18 Mar 2004 13:35

I have been looking at this document for so long now it has become like one of those magic eye pictures! I have downloaded a will from documents online but after staring at it for what seems like an age I havent really come that much further as to working out what it says. If there are any experts out there with a little spare time could you lend me your eyes. I have uploaded it to the address below http://w1.236.telia(.)com/~u23603342/Tree/RobertWinsonWill.pdf So far I have (I think) managed to work out the following: This is the last will and testament of Mr Robert Winson of Rattlesden in the county of Suffolk……miller….the…. of …… thousand eight hundred and thirty nine in ….. following that is to say first I appoint and…….Maria Winson my dear wife and Robert Winson my son Executrix and Executor of this my will but my said son shall not have any power to act in his executorship and trusts……..until he shall attain the age of twenty one years..so I give and bequeath all my household goods and furniture plate china linen and other my house hold effects to my said wife absolutely. Also I give…and bequeath to my said wife and her assignees for the total of her life in …she shall remain my ….my …..and all documents whatsoever..keeping the same in good repair and ..the interest of..mortgages and

kazimet

kazimet Report 18 Mar 2004 13:48

sorry james i have had a look but the more i look at it it seems to move i thought i would try with magnifier too didnt help sorry karin

Anne

Anne Report 18 Mar 2004 13:49

You seem to have made a very good start! They are incredibly difficult to read sometimes but it does help that they all have similar wording. I found the only way was to take it word by word, comparing words you do know with ones you do not and having frequent rests for 'refreshment'!! At least it's in English - I got one which is partly in Latin and cannot do it at all even with the help of 'translator' programmes. Latin seems to have been abreviated at the whim of the writer. Good luck with it! Anne

Geoff

Geoff Report 18 Mar 2004 14:00

farmer and miller, made this twentieth day of february 1839

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 18 Mar 2004 14:10

I think it say mills, lands and documents whatsoever.... Mortages and **** as may affect the same with **** to charge? the said **** with the **** of transferring..... At the very beginning after the Suffolk part it says the twelfth day of February 1839 (I think). Going to have a cup of coffee and will look again in a bit to try for some more and will get back to you. Pam

Andrew

Andrew Report 18 Mar 2004 14:11

Managed to make some further parts out before my eyes went funny. ... she shall so ... remain my widow. All my assuages wills lands and account(?) documents ... paying the interest of such mortgages... afford the same with ... to ... with the ... of transferring such mortgages in case the ... in and also with the account of few(?) fines and fees which may so(?) payable on the admission to the ... Hope it helps. Andrew

Jim

Jim Report 18 Mar 2004 14:15

Hi there James. I haven't looked at your problematic Will yet, but will do. I am able to say like many others I suspect, that I have had the same problem myself. One way to make it easier if it is possible, is to treat it as a JigSaw puzzle, 1. call it up into an editable format. 2. split the wording into smaller sections. 3. read through and regroup the obvious connected paragraphs/sentences. 4. lay it out in a more readable format and save that under a different title for editing purposes. 5. play around with it until you can understand it. Hope this works for you, and when I have a minute later on I will take a peak OK. Good luk. Jim

James

James Report 18 Mar 2004 14:19

Thank you all so much you have all been so very helpful. I thought it was going to take me weeks to work my way to the end at the speed I was going but hopefully with the input recieved I may still be able to surpise my father by the time he returns from holiday.

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 18 Mar 2004 14:28

To continue but not very far because I give up: Transferring **** ****in **** the **** ****shall be **** in and also with the account? of the **** and fees which may **** ?pable on her **** to take **** **** of the premises and interest for the **** respectively?. Also I give to my said wife **** that **** life incase? she shall **** widow **** but not the absolute property of all my **** and **** Lost the will to live now, sorry James. May look again Pam

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 18 Mar 2004 15:01

James, I can't get into that address?? Can you e-mail me a scanned copy and I will give it a go - have done a few of these and not too bad at it I like to think!! (excuse head size!!) Will e-mail you direct so that you have my addy. Maz. XX

Jim

Jim Report 18 Mar 2004 16:23

James Regarding the Will you posted. I have loked until my eyes popped and must say that its wording dos not at times run as one would expect of legal or other documents of such type. The few translations that I have come up with are This is the last will and testament of me Robert Winson of Rattlesden in the county of Suffolk farmer and miller, made the twentieth day of February one thousand eight hundred and thirty nine in manner following that is to say first I appoint and……….Maria Winson my dear wife and Robert Winson my son Executrix and Executor of this my will but my said son shall not have any power to act in his executorship and trusts hereafter mentioned until he shall attain the age of twenty one years..so I give and bequeath all my household goods and furniture plate china linen and other my house hold effects to my said wife absolutely. Also I give……and bequeath to my said wife and her assignees for the total of her life in save she shall so long remain my Widow all my messuages mills lands.and all documents whatsoever then keeping the same in good repair and paying the interest of such mortgages and incumbrances as may affect the same with power to charge the said encumbrances with the expensesof transferring such mortgagesin case the mortage moneys shall be ……. in and also with the amount of the fines and fees which may be payable on her admission to the ………oldpacts? of the promises and interest for the same respectively. Also I give to my said wife for her life in case she shall…………………. ……. …….. but not the absolute property of all my living ……. … …….. instead of everything and offer my wife ……..Estate to be for the maintenance of herself and another ……of my ……. by her with power I will email you with this transcription as well to save you trying to rewrite it Best of luck with the rest. Jim

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 18 Mar 2004 23:04

Hi James - I have just e-mailed it back to you. Maz. XX

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 19 Mar 2004 21:59

Hi James, just checking .... Did you receive my e-mail or do I need to re-send it?? Maz. XX