Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which census for Yorkshire to buy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 18 Mar 2004 08:23

Can somebody advise which would be the best census to invest in for Yorkshire. Most of my rellies so far come from Monk Fryston, Garforth, Leeds & York areas. I could do with some advice on both year and area to go for. Also one with a name index would be a huge help if such a thing exists. Thanks Pauline

Anne

Anne Report 18 Mar 2004 13:29

All except the 1851 are available to buy now. The 1851 will be available soon, so I'm told. The whole of Yorkshire is covered in one set. Can you find your ancestors on the 1881? If you can, you can choose if you want to back or forward in time. If you've only found them on the 1901 then I would suggest getting the 1891 first. Non of them are indexed by name (except on some occasions the 1851) but it gets quite addictive searching through the pages. I had to go through most of Hull before I found what I was really looking for. BUT the big bonus to this was that I found several other people I hadn't really known about. It does seem expensive but in the end can work out cheaper than travelling to the area and sitting for a limited time in the library or archives. Anne

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 18 Mar 2004 18:23

Pauline I was thinking of of getting one of these, as my clan are from the same area. (I was looking at the 1841 to 1871s ) If you do purchase one I will buy one of the others to complement. The lack of indexing isn't such a big deal for the small towns/villages. Bob