Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do our relatives do it on purpose, just to confuse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 17 Mar 2004 18:03

see below - sorry I'm not a fast typist!!!

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 17 Mar 2004 18:07

Now I really am confused!!! LOL

Rachel

Rachel Report 17 Mar 2004 18:14

This may seem a bit long but please bear with me - I got a marriage cert today which states that Levi Webb, of full age, married Mary Waterhouse, 20 on May 9th 1841. Mary's father is given as William Waterhouse. On the Halifax 1851 census I have Levi Webb (41), with wife Mary (27), daughters Ellen (9), Elizabeth (6), Hannah (1m), and son John (3). I ordered Ellen's birth cetificate a while ago and it says born 24th Feb 1842, father Levi Webb, mother Mary Webb, formerly Dyson. The birth was registered by Betty Dyson, Ellen's great grandmother. On the 1881 census I have Elizabeth Webb (Ellen's sister) living with her grandfather William Dyson, also having a child Dyson Webb living with her. (Dyson's birth certificate doesn't give a fathers name and the mother isn't married). So is Mary Dyson also Mary Waterhouse? I can't find another Levi Webb in Halifax in 1851, I can't find another marriage for a Levi Webb, I guess his age is't given on the marriage cert because he was much older than her, and that might be why she says she's 20 and not 17? I'm stuck!!!! Can someone help me please?? Rachel

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 17 Mar 2004 18:30

Hello Rachael. I've just made this up but drawn from experiences found with my own ancestors....... Mary Waterhouse married Mr Dyson (before his vacuum cleaner days). Mary then widowed, or divorced from, Mr Dyson. Then when Mary Dyson nee Waterhouse married Levi she was described as "formerly Dyson". Then sadly Ellen Webb who was nine years of age died but when Levi and Mary had a girl child on 24 February 1842 they named her Ellen in her memory. A bit far fetched it may seem but who knows what those ancestors got up to! Roger in East Sussex

Rachel

Rachel Report 17 Mar 2004 18:43

Roger Thanks for your comments. Even more far fetched, I'm thinking that when they got married her name could have been misheard. Neither Levi nor Mary could write (and neither could Betty when she registered Ellen's birth) and so they wouldn't have noticed. All the certificates bear "X" marks. I'm gonna have to keep pondering this one. I doubt Mary could have married twice by the age of 20 or 17 (although who can tell!). I think I might have to order some of the other childrens birth cetificates to see what it gives as the mothers name on those. Thanks again Rachel