Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is "Sufase" Yeoman, please??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 17 Mar 2004 16:28

I just received a copy of my ancestor's will (thanks to a kind GC member!) and it mentions "...parish of Shipley in the family? of (Sufase?) Yeoman...' I know what yeoman means (just looked it up), but does anyone have any idea what "Sufase" could be? (May not have it spelled correctly!!) By the way, the will is dated 1796. Thanks very much for any ideas. Off to work now, will check when I return.

Vera

Vera Report 17 Mar 2004 19:10

Hi Lisa, Guess who? At a guess I would say it says SUSSEX YEOMAN. Hope it helps Regards Vera

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 17 Mar 2004 22:48

Hi Lisa, I agree with Vera, it probably says "in the COUNTY of SUSSEX, Yeoman. Once you've read a few old hands you'll get used to seeing letters and words totally differently to how we'd expect them to be, and it gets easier to decipher them when you learn the most commonly used phrases. Roots web have pages on old english writing at rootsweb(.)com/~usgenweb/special/oldenglish/oldenglish.htm homepages(.)rootsweb(.)com/~oel/handwriting.html Best wishes, Carole

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 18 Mar 2004 02:04

Hi Vera: Thanks again for the will!!! (I'll send you another email; won't take as long, this time!) Hi Carol: Thanks for your input and websites. I'll be sure look at them tonight (just got home) and mark them as favourites! Vera and Carol: You're correct. What I thought was an "f" is actually a "C" with a line though it, which makes it fairly easy to read as County. The person who wrote the will did that to corn and cattle, too. I think I remember hearing that if there were two s's together, that they made the first letter "f"? Aha, I just looked at some photocopied pages from the Sussex baptism pages and it is written "Sufsex". Thanks for your help -- I never would have read it as Sussex! I have two other wills: one is fairly difficult to read; the other took my mum's cousin DAYS to figure out!!! This will is so easy to read, compared to the other two! Thank you both for your help -- probably wouldn't have figured it out on my own. PS: Curiosity got the better of me - had to look at the sites before supper -- they're great -- thanks.