Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kelly's Directory

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 17 Mar 2004 15:03

Can anyone explain to me what Kelly's Directory is. And can tell me if it has residential addresses under a surname. Like the Phone Directory. Where can I view it, most of my family come from Walsall. Hope you can help!

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 Mar 2004 16:17

Hi b4usearch site has the electoral roll. Type in the surname and it gives you the initials of occupants and name of the street I come from Walsall and it worked for me. Pat

Joanne

Joanne Report 17 Mar 2004 16:23

Does the b4usearch site have any electoral roll for the early 19th century or is it just present?

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 17 Mar 2004 16:25

try www.historicaldirectories.org this site has a selection of directories such as kelly's for you to search.

Lynda

Lynda Report 17 Mar 2004 16:25

Hi Joanne I think you'll find they are kept in the Libraries for that locality. The kelly's in my library are now on fiche. I did notice that 2 years out of the three I looked at were under the address, but one seemed to be by name. It may be worth posting look up for kelly's directory for Walsall. Good luck Lynda

Janet

Janet Report 18 Mar 2004 09:38

If you live near London you can access most of the Kellys nationwide at the Guildhall Library. They have the largest collection in the country. Most are on fiche and have to be ordered. They are not on open shelves. Otherwise it would be as others have said local library for Walsall, if that is where your ancestors are from. I have tried the online site at Historical Directories and it seems quite good for my part of the country but whether or not all the directories are on here is another matter and I would be surprised if it was a comprehensive site for all the directories in the country but worth a try. Janet