Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Street

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 17 Mar 2004 12:08

Hi My grandparents lived in Stepney, London and got married on 3 July 1938 at St Dunstans Church. Their address was nos 8 & 12 Monteagle Street at that time. I know a lot of streets were pulled down or renamed, can anyone point me in the right direction to find this old street. It's not about anymore. I've already tried looking on the Victorian street index on http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/lonstr_m.html Thanks for your help Regards Ange

Kim

Kim Report 17 Mar 2004 13:59

tryhttp://booth.lse.ac.uk/cgi-bin/do.pl?sub=view_booth_and_barth&args=535984,181850,2,large,1

Sharon

Sharon Report 17 Mar 2004 14:12

Hi Angela I was just on the site that Angela has mentioned above and it does mention a Monteagle Street. It shows you the rough location on the map, but some of the street are so small you cannot read the writing. From the area it showed me it looks as if it was very near to St Dunstans church and was somewhere near Duckett street. Regards Sharon

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 Mar 2004 14:21

Angela In the AA Greater London street atlas 1977 there is a Monteagle Ave Bark mentioned . It is stated that the map ref is CM36 had a quick look but cannot see it. I need a magnifying glass or glasses It,s not that my eyes are week just that they print for midgets Pat I could scan and send if you want.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Mar 2004 17:24

Patricia, please excuse the pun, but i am afraid that you are "Barking" up the wrong tree......Barking is about 5 miles east(ish) of Stepney......Bob

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 Mar 2004 18:29

Bob Sorry I do not know London at all. Lived in Bayswater many years ago but hated London. So I've got it wrong obviously Barking mad Pat

Terence

Terence Report 17 Mar 2004 20:35

tried this one? http://www(.)motco(.)com/map/81006/

Angela

Angela Report 17 Mar 2004 22:41

Hi Just wanted to thank you all for your input with this. The websites you have mentioned have helped a lot. Does anyone know if there is a Victorian Streets of London in book format? Thanks Ange

Christina

Christina Report 18 Mar 2004 05:03

I have just tried looking in an old A to Z guide of London it is E1 near the Mile End Road, where it joins Bow Road down to the Gas Works, taking in the Institutions and The Jews Burial Ground and east to just past White Horse Lane somewhere in that area but some of the writing is hard to read. for your info map ref page 66 3A. The book is publised by Geographer's map co of 24-27 High Holborn, London WC1. It is is old shillings and pence price. If the company is still going they may have a website. Regards Christina