Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please can I have some advise!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 17 Mar 2004 09:48

I am new to this and very confused. I have been trying to find out if the following people married between 1894-1904. I don't have much information sorry. Catherine Horton b1878 married twice firstly she became a Crooke and then a Taylor. I don't know the Christian names of Husbands. She had a dau b 1895? Margaret (Maggie) and a dau Catherine in 1913. In 1891 Catherine Horton lived at 12 Anderson St Salford. Catherine Day b1878 This may have been in Salford area?? Any information would be great xx

Patricia

Patricia Report 17 Mar 2004 13:10

Hope this helps maybe you can find a bit more of this. Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability John Thos. HORTON Head M Male 27 Manchester, Lancashire, England Labourer In Iron Works (Manf) Annie HORTON Wife M Female 29 Manchester, Lancashire, England Cotton Spinner John Thos. HORTON Son Male 5 Manchester, Lancashire, England Catherine HORTON Daur Female 3 Salford, Lancashire, England Frances HORTON Son Male 1 Salford, Lancashire, England Source Information: Dwelling 38 Factory Lane Census Place Salford, Lancashire, England Family History Library Film 1341947 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3965 / 20 Page Number 33

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 17 Mar 2004 19:11

Hi Claire, When you've been looking for either marriage, have you been looking under both bride and groom's surnames for a reference match? When looking for her second marriage remember that she'll be indexed under her previous married name, not her maiden name. I'd concentrate on the second marriage first as you seem to have a firm birth year for her daughter. I'd work back from (and including) 1913, then if that didn't yield anything, I'd work forward a few years in case they didn't marry before she was born. You could also apply for Catherine's birth certificate to get her father's christian name which would make finding the marriage a bit easier. Best wishes, Carole

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 17 Mar 2004 19:15

Actually, do you know which marriage Catherine was born to? If she was from the first marriage, then looking for the second would be much easier as spouse's surnames are indexed by then too. Carole