Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spy bloc, does any one use it?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Mar 2004 23:31

Looking for info on spybloc as to its usefulness and ease of operation. please.....thanks.bob

Judy

Judy Report 17 Mar 2004 00:14

Bob: I'm not familiar with Spy Block personally but if it's a free download from the internet, it's been my experience that most of the free anything on the internet actually adds it's own brand of spyware. Most reliable, that I've found, and the one I recommend to my own clients, is Adaware 6.0 by Lavaware..... Judy

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Mar 2004 00:19

A rellie of mine has bought the full version, and is confused about its operation, myself i took judy's advice and went for ad-aware...Bob

Bob

Bob Report 17 Mar 2004 00:37

Judy is right... AdAware is free, it works well, it doesn't put any of its own spyware on your system and is dead easy to use. What more could you want? Bob

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 17 Mar 2004 10:21

Hi Bob; I know that Adaware is good and used it up until very recently. I ran a scan with Adaware when a friend was here who uses Spybot. My Adaware came up with nothing. He suggested I go and get Spybot (free) and run it staright after. I laughed and said, yeah sure and did. It returned 103 nasties!! To give credit 6 were it detecting Adaware (as Back Web). I had not allowed or reset anything on Adaware, just find anything and everything suss! Told DH and he was sus! Ran SpyBot on his and came up with 276!! That was after Adaware!! Needless to say we had deleted Adaware. I guess it is a matter of what works for you!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 17 Mar 2004 12:05

Both Spybot and Ad -Aware were recommended by Web user magazine last month. Spybot seems to do a good job but some have had problems removing it. They also recommend Spyware blaster and SpywareGuard from http://www.wilderssecurity.net/ which can stop spyware installation in the first place. Bob

Janet

Janet Report 18 Mar 2004 00:45

I use Spybot and find it works well for me.