Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When searching FreeBMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 16 Mar 2004 18:04

:

Janet

Janet Report 16 Mar 2004 18:04

We've all learned (the hard way, usually) to accept that our ancestors' surnames were not always spelt the same way, and to be flexible in our approach, but please, when searching FreeBMD, be prepared to be equally flexible with forenames. I'm currently transcribing Births for 1887, and some of the forenames, even though the sheets are typed, are totally illegible. I had one that I couldn't even work out its initial letter, though I knew it must begin with J, K or L because they were in alphabetical order. Another started with an H, but what followed just could not be read. Others are very strange - I almost typed Kenneth, before realising it was in fact Kennelm. Now was that the correct name, or had the person who typed the original list made a mistake? We are told to copy exactly what is on the original list, so Kennelm it had to be. Also, there are quite a few listed as just Male or Female, which might be because they hadn't decided on a name before they had to be registered, but more likely because they died shortly after birth. Anyway, I just thought I'd warn you to approach forenames with the same caution you use for surnames. Jan.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 16 Mar 2004 18:32

Hi Jan, just thought I`d say hello as I`m transcribing 1887 births too, so I know exactly what you mean, especially as the page I`ve got seems to have a lot of Italians on it! Rebecca

Geoff

Geoff Report 16 Mar 2004 19:08

There IS a name Kennelm (more often Kenelm).

Annie

Annie Report 16 Mar 2004 19:17

Hey, Rebecca .. None of your Italians have the name Rosa - perchance? Ok .. I always loved going for the Long Shot! :) Ann

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 17 Mar 2004 11:18

Lol Ann, no Rosas, that would be far too easy! Rebecca ;-)