Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

freecen.vol.needs HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 15 Mar 2004 22:59

i have just downloaded SSCENS ready to do transcribing(hav'nt got c.d. yet,)just wanted to have a look! and there are 2 files i can't open,they are "blank & censdemo" i have adobe reader but it won't open them,what do i do?? chris. p.s. i am new to this.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 15 Mar 2004 23:15

just bringing this back to the top to see if any one can help!! chris.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 15 Mar 2004 23:36

Rosemary, solved it! i tried opening them with microsoft word, and they opened!!!!!!!!! thanks for replying. chris.

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 16 Mar 2004 10:49

Keep up the good work girls and boys!!! The more the merrier and it's not hard cos if i can do it anyone can,I didn't know what a spread sheet was or SSCENS thought it was a disease!! Ann,from Darlington Transcribing part of 1861 for Darlington, slowly for freecen!!

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Mar 2004 19:05

hi all, got email from my coordinater today,c.d. on it's way!! i will be doing 1719 Bristal,St Pauls. does anyone else know what they'll be doing? perhaps we could come on here now and again and let each other know how we are getting on!! chris.

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 16 Mar 2004 19:11

Hi, I will be transcribing: Devon 1861, Ashprington, Little Hempston, Totnes, Berry Pomeroy Downloaded last night onto a floppy. Still have to open a new folder. Good luck Kathy

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Mar 2004 19:51

I'm glad you got sorted Chris. I'm doing Stockton/Thornaby 1861. Almost done my 6 pages for checking although I started a little while ago but have had builders in, baby sitting and then my 3 kids off because the school had a fire. Hope to get back on the track again now! It would be nice to share our problems (not too many I hope) and to see what each other doing. Good luck everyone. Hey Karen, why dont you jump on board? Sounds worse than it really is, you just type what you see and there is no time limit. Hope know one thinks I'm being pushy, so not like that! It would be so good for us all to see on line and for free!!!

Sarah

Sarah Report 16 Mar 2004 20:18

Ive just heard back from Carol today...Im gonna be doing the Yorkshire 1861 census (Dewsbury, although I havent a clue where that is), Ive just got to wait for the CD to arrive now. Im quite looking forward to having a go! I reckon it could be pretty interesting! Anyone else with a bit of spare time...go on give it a go!!! ta ta Sarah

Gail

Gail Report 16 Mar 2004 20:39

Hi all I started transcribing at the weekend and have just sent my file to carol for checking. I am going to try and do a page a day. It is so easy to do so good luck to everyone and keep it up. Gail

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Mar 2004 20:48

Maz, have you had a look at the demo excel? What you put in on the excel form is what is on the census really, the page, folio, address and then names etc. Is Carol your co-ordinator? I know she will give you plenty of help, she is very friendly and you can also try us ! Good luck, best get on with mine!

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Mar 2004 21:14

come on Karen,give it a go!!.chris.

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 16 Mar 2004 21:21

Maz You will be fine Now you lot are making me feel guilty as i havnt got on very fast with my transcribing just the time not that it's difficult. Chris it will be a good idea toshare how we are getting on also maybe to ask each other for look ups???? Ann,1861 for Darlington

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Mar 2004 22:00

good idea ann, chris.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Mar 2004 22:12

up we go again!!!!!!!!!!!