Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WOOHOO!!!! They have arrived

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 15 Mar 2004 22:33

My 4 certs i ordered on the 1 March 2004 came today. it only took 2 weeks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Mar 2004 22:46

Well done!! They really are getting slower all the time. Since I started ordering certificates in the middle of last year the waiting time has gone from about 4 days to about 2 and a half weeks.

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Mar 2004 22:54

My missing one arrived this morning (15/03/2004). It was ordered online at 22:36 on 25/02/2004. I'd forgotten who it was for !

Barry

Barry Report 16 Mar 2004 04:46

You know every time I log on to ONS to order some certificates there are more and more disclaimers about longer waits caused by excessive volume. To which I just want to shout at ONS... GET SOME MORE STAFF THEN! Its simple supply and demand. Demand goes up, either prices have to rise or supply increases. Rant (or spay as we call them in Oz) over ;) Barry

John

John Report 16 Mar 2004 09:58

I'd love to work there (who wouldn't though). I'd probably get the sack though for looking at the certs too much and wondering what was happening to the people concerned. Imagination is a great thing!!!

Kim

Kim Report 16 Mar 2004 10:05

IF I worked there I wouldn't do any work at all I'd be too busy looking for my rels certificates! Perhaps we should volunteer and take certificates in liew of payments!! KIM

BrianW

BrianW Report 16 Mar 2004 10:05

Remember that this is a Government Department we're dealing with. If they budgeted for two men and a dog to do the work, two men and a dog is what you get, regardless of demand.

Kim

Kim Report 16 Mar 2004 10:46

pERHAPS THE men are on anuual leave and they leave the dog in charge! ;~)

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 16 Mar 2004 11:10

Why order on-lone when you can get them in a couple of day's from the relevant registrar's office? By Posting the relevant details and a SAE Ann

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 16 Mar 2004 11:24

Hi Ann, I suppose its easier if you deal with your local registrar, I sent of for mine,info,cheque,etc,s.a.e. only on Friday, received it this morning,what good service,but they had made a mistake,I contacted them today,and they will amend. See my thread TAKE HEED, its lovely when you recieve them though. regards trish

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 16 Mar 2004 11:33

Hi Trish It doesn't have to be your local registrar as long as you have the address which you can find on-line anyway. I have dealt with them from all over. Yes I do agree you have to check I had one form Harrogate once and there was a mistake which they rectified and sent me some stamps for the bother!1 Ann,Darlington

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 16 Mar 2004 11:59

Ann i agree with you and order from the reg office local to the event as it's much quicker when i can. But not all offices will do this and in these circumstances i have no choice but to Order online. A couple of the london offices will not issue certs more than 100 yrs old or certs needed for family history purposes as they are too busy to deal with theses requests. Shelli

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 16 Mar 2004 12:17

Hi shelli I didn't realise that so I have been very lucky so for then. Thanks for that Reagrds Ann

Rosi

Rosi Report 16 Mar 2004 13:22

I have just ordered a cert - and the dispatch date is quoted as 30th March - at least two weeks away. Alas I can't go the Register Office route much as I want to as it one of the London Offices thay 'no can do' as so many of mine are. It is frustrating waiting so long to prove/disprove a relationship. Rosi

Jayne

Jayne Report 16 Mar 2004 13:53

my missing cert arrived today.... was ordered .....wait for it......14th Feb must admit when i phoned they were very helpful and said they would send a replacement and they have....but i think this is almost a record..lol The information on has only confused me more which doesnt help *sigh* so its back to the drawing board...lol Jayne

Mystified

Mystified Report 16 Mar 2004 16:40

Well we are getting a poorer service but they are still charging the same. Either they should employ more staff or reduce the cost. After all however long it takes 1 week or 2 weeks whatever they have still had our money. Knowing how the Govt. works I suppose they will put the price up. Isn't there such a thing as a Monopoly's Commisssion anymore? Do you think we should bombard them with complaints?

Irene

Irene Report 16 Mar 2004 19:05

Hi don't do that it may take even longer to receive the certificates. But I know what you mean. It was bad enough waiting 5 days, now its 2 weeks. If we complain and they employ more staff then the certificates will go up. I think they cost enough as it is. Let hope the main rush will be over soon. Irene