Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone have access to 1841/1851 Yorkshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 15 Mar 2004 21:19

Does anyone have the above, I am trying to find out who John F Kilby is with, he was born in Leeds in 1794, however looks to have moved to York. I have him living in St Marys Castlegate in 1861 with some family and also in 1871. It looks like he may have married a few times so I need to know where he was in 1841 and 1851. I have him with a daughter Ellen born 1833 in 1861 along with other children. Any help really appreciated. Thanks Liz

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 16 Mar 2004 21:39

nudge please

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Mar 2004 15:52

Hello Elizabeth I am researching relatives in Yorkshire (Dewsbury, Ripon and Pontefract) and went to the FRC in London to look at census information last week. You probably already know this, but the 1841 is barely surname indexed at all. Also the 1851 although comprehensively surnamed indexed for most of the country is sadly lacking in the Yorkshire area. This means you can't look up the folio number of your relatives, but have to search through every page of the census for their area. With the barely legible writing this takes hours, but of course it helps if you know the district/street name. However if someone could lend you a microfilm or disk you could at least do this at your leisure. Anyway, you might be lucky - if anywhere is going to be indexed in Yorkshire it should be York! Good Luck! Lisa

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 Mar 2004 16:13

Lisa I have the same problem with South Staffs 1851 it takes hours. Stupid me thought I would put in the surname etc and up would pop the info. Why do I always think life will be easy. Pat

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Mar 2004 16:19

I never realised either. I just thought they weren't transcribed, I didn't realise there were no indexes! I was there 6 hours and was cross-eyed by the end of it! I guess this is where the hard work starts!