Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anybody from Lewisham, London?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 15 Mar 2004 14:40

Does anybody know if there is a pub still in existence called 'The Freemason's & Railway Tavern', The Terrace, Ladywell Road, Lewisham? My Great Grandparents ran it in the 1890s, but I can't seem to track it down. Regards Sarah. p.s. Please forgive me for repeating this on the 'Records' Board. I wasn't sure which one to put it on!!

Bob

Bob Report 15 Mar 2004 15:01

Found what looks like a reference here: http://www.edmund1.demon.*co.uk/ladywell1989.html (take out the *) Bob

Dawn

Dawn Report 15 Mar 2004 16:02

Thanks very much for that Bob. Kind Regards Sarah.

Vicki

Vicki Report 15 Mar 2004 18:16

There used to be a Freemasons Arms by Ladywell Station. My husband said it has been "upgraded" in the last two years. He said when he comes home from work one day this week he will come that way and check to see what the new name of the pub is for you and I will post this on the board. Vicki

Dawn

Dawn Report 15 Mar 2004 18:27

Thankyou Vicki and your husband. Regards Sarah.

Vicki

Vicki Report 16 Mar 2004 06:35

Well he went past this morning - what used to be called the Masons is now called the Masons Bar Restaurant, Ladywell Road, London, SE13 - 020 8314 0314. Hope this is helpful Vicki Hi sorry for not getting back to you - was not on line yesterday - the building is the original building as would be when your grandparents ran it - it has just been painted in "pale" colours. So luckily not destroyed in WWII. Vicki

Dawn

Dawn Report 16 Mar 2004 07:17

Vicki You are two earlybirds this morning! Thankyou to you both for that. One last question, Vicki. Would you say it is an old building? I read somewhere that the area was heavily bombed during World War 11. Regards Sarah.

Vicki

Vicki Report 17 Mar 2004 07:33

Hi sorry for not getting back to you - was not on line yesterday - the building is the original building as would be when your grandparents ran it - it has just been painted in "pale" colours. So luckily not destroyed in WWII. Vicki

Dawn

Dawn Report 17 Mar 2004 09:42

Vicki I do appreciate the time and trouble you have gone to. If there is anything I can ever do to help you, I would be pleased to return the favour. Kind Regards Sarah.

Vicki

Vicki Report 17 Mar 2004 10:41

Hi No probs - he has a digi camera phone so when he drives past next I could ask him to take a photo for you for your records - send me over your email address [email protected] and I will email the photo once I have it. Vicki

Dawn

Dawn Report 17 Mar 2004 11:28

Vicki I've e-mailed you. Kind Regards Sarah.