Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAMILY TREE SOFTWARE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 14 Mar 2004 21:56

Hi, I need advice as to what software I should use to create my family tree. My Tree on genesconnected is getting too big, and takes a while to load. Thanks

Russell

Russell Report 14 Mar 2004 22:00

Try PAF first, it is free from the LDS familysearch site. All the best - Russell

Jason

Jason Report 16 Mar 2004 00:02

On the Home page, GC say they are going to introduce a GEDCOM exporter, so you may want to hold fire before you type all your data into PAF!

Barry

Barry Report 16 Mar 2004 01:31

I tested about 5 packages and chose Rootsmagic (dot com) as the most appropriate for a newbie like me. Its interface is clean, simple and intuitive. The learning curve was much shallower than all the others. Free demo online. Barry (NO connection to RM)

Graham

Graham Report 16 Mar 2004 10:28

Family Historian gets my vote. British, well supported, powerful query system for extracting data, fully Gedcom compatible. Graham Bate

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Mar 2004 16:03

I like Family Historian as well. It's more biased towards the databasing of your research, and organising and recording sources, rather than production of stylised print outs or webpages. However, I find there is plenty of free software that can perform these functions, and as Graham points out it is fully GEDCOM compatible so you can export Family Historian files easily. The reports section is very good - it provides a summary of all the information you have collected on an individual and the sources. I find these handy to use if I am going to a records office. Hope this helps.

Paul

Paul Report 19 Mar 2004 21:29

i have tried a dozen or so different progs but i found Broderbund Family Tree Maker easily the best. Its easy to input or find info. it accepts photos, medical history and general notes all attched to the record. it also exports in GEDCOM the industry standard file. check out the online retailers. regards Paul