Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificate/Parish Registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Seasons

Seasons Report 14 Mar 2004 16:23

Can someone please tell me whether a death certificate in 1908 would have someones place of birth on it. According to 1881 born in Ireland/married in Ireland - have several rellies with this as only place of birth. Alternatively do churches keep parish records of deaths/funerals that might have that info? Haven't a clue which counties otherwise!!!!!!!

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Mar 2004 19:07

Hi Julie, I have a Death Certificate for 1911 and it shows the place of death and residence of the informant. Hope this helps. Regards, Jenni

Seasons

Seasons Report 14 Mar 2004 19:34

The problem is trying to find out whereabouts in Ireland they come from and whether there is any source that will give me a clue. One lot even married (I think) in Ireland so can't even get their fathers names!!! Thought perhaps a parish register may say but don't know if they record funerals!!!

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 14 Mar 2004 22:08

Hi Julie, Death certs didn't show place of birth until 1969, when date of birth is also included instead of age at death. It's also very common on the census to find that only the country of birth is stated when the person was born outside England or Wales (not very helpful at all!). Parish registers record burial, and although the person's residence at the time of death should be noted, and sometimes the date of death, it's not usual for place of birth to be shown (not unless the person was high status and only then if the clergyman decided to add his own notes). An obituary in a local paper or a headstone might have useful information. If the person left a will there could be the names and places of residence of relatives who live in Ireland which might narrow down the search. Best wishes, Carole

Seasons

Seasons Report 15 Mar 2004 09:06

Thanks - I will try and get someone to have a look in the newspaper archives, thankfully I've got the date!!!!!! Don't think I'd be able to read the headstone if he has one and its not been removed as if I remember correctly in that part of the cemetery what headstones remain are very worn with age and the elements. On previous visits up there I've spent ages searching for more recent burials (that I attended EVEN) and still went around in circles, this was before I started genealogy though. About a will I don't think he would have made one, being a working man but I'll have a look. Thanks for your suggestions

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 15 Mar 2004 12:40

H Julie, Don't be put off looking for a will just because he was a working man, lots of people from all walks of life made them. Even if he didn't make a will, there might be letters of administration (admon) naming the people who applied to administer his estate. Wills and admons are indexed annually for the whole country from 1858 and most record offices have the indexes on film or fiche - National Probate Calendars - so it's worth looking from 1908. Look for a few years though, as sometimes probate or administration wasn't granted until much later. I have a record of a will that was written more than 30 years before it was proved, because his wife didn't bother with probate, and after her death their sons had to apply for letters of administration, with his will annexed, to administer the estate. They were all working people too, agricultural labourers. Hope you have some luck, Carole