Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help - military lists???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 14 Mar 2004 10:15

Im trying to find my G Grandfather who was born in Shropshire, he is not on the 1901 census but I found out that he was a machine Gunner in the Shropshire Infantry, is there anyway of finding any information on his whereabouts during his time in the Army

Irene

Irene Report 14 Mar 2004 10:38

Every regiment hold details, before 1901 it may be harder but some records do survive. These are held at the PRO at Kew. If he was in the army when he married it should give you the details of regiment and number on the marriage certificate, also on birth certificates. For the earlier records there are muster rolls, pay rolls I think they are, this will help trace their wereabouts. I have not looked into this very much yet so I am not 100% sure. I only know what I have found. The PRO at Kew are very helpful, but you may find it will take a bit of time sorting through it all. Irene

Seasons

Seasons Report 14 Mar 2004 12:59

He could well have been overseas ie Boer War or somewhere similar

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 14 Mar 2004 13:13

Hi Just a little bit of info on The Kings Shropshire Light Infantry 1st Battalion was in Poona India 1898 - 1903 2nd Battalion was in South Africa 1899 - 1903 then went to India Malcolm