Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I know this isn't a tip But...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 13 Mar 2004 09:43

Can anyone suggest how a find an address . I have three members of the same family possibly different branches I have the dates of where they were christened and the places but how do I find where they lived. Any suggestion would be most welcombe Sue

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Mar 2004 12:46

Susan What years are you looking at? Would one of the census help? Otherwise perhaps a birth cert to give an address. All depends on when.

Susan

Susan Report 13 Mar 2004 16:04

Hi Margeret, Stepney 1739=1773 St Mary and St George in the East I don't know London at all so I don't know what kind of area it covers. Sue

Margaret

Margaret Report 14 Mar 2004 10:44

Susan I would think that finding the address may prove difficult. It depends what has been recorded in the parish registers. I don't know the area either so you need someone to do a look up for you. Some registers do give an address of the parents, others just the general area. Obviously too early for them to be recorded on a census.

Susan

Susan Report 14 Mar 2004 15:50

Thanks Margeret, It was a wild card so I know they are the same family, Its just how they relate to one another, I'll get there in the end we all do don't we. Thanks anyway Sue

Mystified

Mystified Report 14 Mar 2004 20:38

May I suggest that you try some of the London sites on Genuki? There are some very nice people on there. St George in the East is what was Tower Hamlets and Stepney. I have a rellie born there. It also was then in an area called Shadwell. Try the old maps site that might help.

Susan

Susan Report 14 Mar 2004 22:06

Thanks John Yes I'll try it hopefully I'll get somewhere taking that route. Sue

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 14 Mar 2004 22:45

Hi Susan, Before 1813 it was up to the vicar what information he recorded in the parish register, whereas after that date the register had a column to put the abode of the parents (though even then it was usual to enter the barest of details). I think it's unlikely that you'll get actual addresses from baptisms at that time. If anything, it's more likely to just be the parish or an area within the parish, though you might get a street if you are very lucky. You could try looking for wills as these sometimes give more than just the place where the deceased lived and might name relatives. You could also look on the internet for old maps of the area and hopefully find one that marks out the area which each church covered. That might help narrow the area down a bit. One other thought, the parish register might state an occupation. I believe that it was usual at that time for people with certain occupations to live in the same area, or streets. If an ancestor had an occupation covered by one of the London livery companies or may have been apprenticed in London, then there are records of these which might give addresses. I'm not that familiar with London, but I hope this helps a little. Best wishes, Carole

Susan

Susan Report 15 Mar 2004 12:57

Thanks Carol, I'll try that too. Sue