Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I?????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 12 Mar 2004 23:16

Think I have found births of family members ranging from 1902 to 1911. Have name, year, quarter, area, volume and page. I need to know how to research them further to find out if they are mine. I don't want to send for certificates unless I know they are really mine. What do I do now? (I know fathers name and mothers maiden name.) Very new to this so rather 'green' about searching post 1901. Any help or tips would be wonderful. Thanks in anticipation, Viv.

Stan

Stan Report 12 Mar 2004 23:26

I wonder whether you might look for baptisms in Parish Records. If you have an address from the 1901 Census, that might be a starting point to look for Churches nearby. It would obviously help if you knew whether the parents had been baptised, and therefore what denomination to check. Stan

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 12 Mar 2004 23:36

No address I'm afraid as the parents married after the 1901 census (C of E). Found 1 child born in Cambs 1904 and know my link is in Hackney in 1908, so have 2 addresses. The other names are in Hackney but don't know how to access the parish records or where to begin looking. Births range from 1902 to 1911.

Mystified

Mystified Report 13 Mar 2004 08:04

Ring up and order the certs but when you do specify what you want eg Fred Smith birth cert BUT only if the father is and mother is That way you will receive the right one or none at all. John

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 13 Mar 2004 08:59

Was unaware you could specify on the phone. Thank you for the tip. I'll certainly give it a go. Regards, Viv.