Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

should I or should'nt I that is the question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2004 13:08

I am researching a surname Chantler but sometimes gets misspelt to Chandler. I have been in contact with a researcher in Canada who says that he has been doing a one name study in Chandler and has accumilated many Chantler's on the way. I emailed him outlining where my Chantler's come from and where I'm trying to get to. He came back with some very useful information and suggestions, but has now asked me to copy all of my birth/marriage/death certs and send them to him just in case I have missed something and he might be able to see a hidden clue. I have spent lots of money on my certificate, and feel a bit hesitant in sending them - do you think I am wrong, or could he be a genuine helper. Help! Linda

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 12 Mar 2004 13:11

See what you mean - he probably genuinely wants to help you if you're both researching similar things. But on the other hand he'd surely love to get his hands on all those copies of your certificates! In the end though you don't really have anything to lose by sending them, maybe he could send you copies of his info too?

Zoe

Zoe Report 12 Mar 2004 13:14

I say let him have them. He's already given you some information that has helped you out and it's not like he's asking you to spend more money to help him - you've already paid for the certificates. I've built up some fantastic relationships with people I have the very slightest connection with and have reaped the benefits by totally sharing all my work once I've established that the other person is a genuine researcher (which your guy obviously is). I say go for it - you never know when you may hit a major brickwall and you'll want to go back to your contact and ask for his assistance Zoe

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2004 13:19

Thanks Zoe and Elizabeth. I think I was going to send them anyway, but needed a little reasurance or as you would say "go on go for it girl" Ta very much Linda

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Mar 2004 13:21

You've paid for your certificates and extracted all the information you can from them. The other guy has given you some useful information and hints. What do you lose by giving him the information on your certificates? My tree is a mixture of what I've researched (at a cost) and what has been given to me by others (with sources acknowledged).

Anne

Anne Report 12 Mar 2004 13:22

I think it's quite usual for one name studies to collect all the info they can - that's the purpose. In reverse they can be incredibly helpful not only to you but also to others who may not yet have started their research. We belong to the East family History Society and they have masses of info. but always need more. They have given us loads of help and advice and put us in touch with connections we would have not known about. Anne

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Mar 2004 13:41

No offence meant. I was just trying to set out the logic. I'll edit out what might have seemed OTT.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2004 13:46

No problems Brian - it's been one of those weeks. ttfn Linda

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Mar 2004 14:02

At the moment every week's one of those weeks !

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2004 14:21

Only thing I'd be reluctant to do is send certificates for anyone still living... for obvious confidentiality reasons. Apart from that I'd go for it. Paul

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2004 14:31

I'll go for it - he is probably a very genuine person, and I must admit I have encountered a large number of kind and helpful people that out number the not so. ttfn Linda