Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Church records for Norfolk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 12 Mar 2004 00:11

I have reached the point when I need to consult church records. I have looked at various websites for tips but tend to get a bit lost. So I am seeking some expert advice. I have read that the best place to look is Norfolk Records Office in Norwich, but bearing in mind that I live in north west Kent I cannot yet visit Norwich. I have also found out that there is a LDS centre in Orpington. Are these church records available on the internet or to buy on a cd. And what do you think is the best place to go apart from Norfolk. John

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2004 01:17

Hi John, A real goodie for Norfolk parish transcripts is www.genealogy.doun.org.transcriptions/ Debbie

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 12 Mar 2004 07:35

Hi, The LDS have filmed many parish records. Have a look at the catalogue on the familysearch website. You can order the film you need at the LDS centre for a small fee and it remains there for a month for you to view using their facilities. Gwynne

Jane

Jane Report 12 Mar 2004 07:43

John, Yes, the local LDS centres can order in parish records on microfilm for you and that's probably the best way to start. However, do have a look at the Norfolk Record Office website - they now have an online catalogue (NROCAT). You'll be able to see other interesting listings which might relate to your more detailed research. So, a visit to Norfolk would probably help at some stage. I am researching ancestors in the Diss area. Where are yours? It's such a nuisance that Diss/Norwich are so far away - I need to get there too! Regs Jane

Yvette

Yvette Report 12 Mar 2004 08:39

John If you find you are stuck and would like someone else to do lookups for you at the NRO email me with the details and i will add you to my latest list of lookups. Regards Yvette

Karen

Karen Report 12 Mar 2004 18:12

Debbie - also interested in Norfolk. The link you gave doesn't seem to work. Can you check it please as it looks like it could be useful. Cheers Karen

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 17 May 2004 16:27

Hello Virtually all my family come from Norfolk and I'm in the same position as now live elsewhere. You can order photocopies of parish records from the Norfolk Record office online for reasonable charge. However, it helps to have as much info to hand as possible such as an IGI reference. If you've got date of event then they only charge about £1.50 - £2.00, but if your info is less concrete then they do a research charge fee which can be from £9 upwards. Best thing is to email them (general email address on website home page), say what info you've got and they will give you an estimate. However the parish records don't always tell you much more than an IGI.... good luck Lorraine

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 May 2004 16:33

The archivist is Dr John Alban and is very helpful. My Norfolk rellies are all around Limpenhoe/Cantley/Halvergate/Hardley and one member comes from langham, North Norfolk. My Norfolk grandfather is the one with the immortal quote "a fact is a lie and a half", v useful for genealogists! Helen