Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where is Reigate Foreign

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2004 14:44

I am trying to search for the name Chantler in Reigate Foreign where is this place. Many thanks Linda

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Mar 2004 14:48

Hi Linda, Some of my family came from there too and I asked the Same question. Reigate is a large borough in Surrey and I was told it was like the outer part of the borough. Now it is all encompassed by Reigate. Naomi

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2004 15:05

Hello Naomi I've tried Multimaps but does not excist today. It stange but it seems in the 1881 census everyone who lived in Reigate Foreign seemed to live in Earlswood Rd. Anyway thanks for your reply -back to the drawing board. ttfn Linda

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 10 Mar 2004 15:09

Just as an added extra, there is a Rye Foreign in East Sussex just outside Rye.....

Kim

Kim Report 10 Mar 2004 15:11

You will find that place change names for lots of reasons. If it was outside the main town but before you get to the next then it would often be referred to as foreign. The parish and county councils often changed over the years and so do their boundaries.Think of how much housing was built in the Victorian times and then again in the 1930s . It was probably absorbed into the town of Reigate as buildings grew up around it . Also, lots of street names have changed over the yearstoo.Check out www.old-maps(.)co(.)uk for an idea of the place around 1886. Remove brackets of course. KIM

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2004 15:50

Thank you Kim I will go away and have a rummage ttfn Linda

Molly

Molly Report 10 Mar 2004 20:59

Hi Linda, Earlswood Rd is in Redhill, Surrey not far from Reigate. My mother lived in Reigate, and I lived in Redhill for some years. There is a Earlswood Common, which I believe is on the Earlswood Rd. I hope this helps, Angie

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 10 Mar 2004 22:16

Hi My home town was Walsall and they had Walsall and Walsall Foreign. Walsall consisted of the main High St and about 2 streets around Walsall Foreign was outside that area. It through me at first as I had never heard it called that for as far back as I remember. Pat

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Mar 2004 08:10

Thanks all for replying to my query - it seems that Reigate Foreign or any place called foreign is a little community just outside the main town - maybe Reigate started to overflow so to speak. Anyway thanks a million ttfn Linda