Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Berners Hotel London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 9 Mar 2004 23:52

It is the above hotels centeniry this year and i work there. I have been asked by my boss if i can find any documents relating to it from around the time it opened. i have already got the 1901 census return for the area where the hotel now stands. i was just wondering if any one had any ideas where i could look for documents.

Sally

Sally Report 10 Mar 2004 06:46

Just a thought, Have you tried Google or how about old newspapers. Sorry I am not very helpful but, wanted you to know people do read your messages. Good luck, your boss must be very proud of you. Sally.

Crista

Crista Report 10 Mar 2004 08:37

Kevin, The company website says this: "The hotel takes its name from Josias Berners who purchased the land on which it stands in 1645 for just £970. Originally built in 1835 as five classic houses, the properties were converted to a hotel at the turn of the 20th Century in the Edwardian era. The original ceilings of the marble-clad lobby and the restaurant are Grade II listed. In the past the area was known as 'the Latin Quarter' and then as 'Fitzrovia', where famous artists, writers and poets lived and worked. It was rumoured that Edward VII entertained his mistress, Lillie Langtry, at the hotel. In the early 1900s, the Berners played host to the works of Carl Faberge, whose jewel-encrusted eggs are renowned throughout the world. It was the first time his exquisite designs had been seen in public in London " Perhaps you can find something on the original 5 houses and their occupants in the various London censuses. Crista

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 10 Mar 2004 09:25

Hello Crista Please could you put up the Company web address? Cheers Shirley

Crista

Crista Report 10 Mar 2004 09:34

Hi Shirley, http://www.jjwhotels(.)com/thebernershotel/aboutus.htm Crista

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 10 Mar 2004 09:37

Hi Crista Thank You. Shirley

Zoe

Zoe Report 10 Mar 2004 12:17

if parts of the hotel are listed then I'm sure the local authority should have some info on the history of it. The London Metropolitan Archives may be able to assist you with information about the area. Also local papers from the time (best bet is the British Library Newspaper Archive at colindale) may have had announcement , adverts or covered the opening.