Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census records of Watermen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 8 Mar 2004 21:19

I have just discovered that many 'watermen' were listed on the end of the 1851 census. I am looking for a Christopher Copley from Beverley who was a waterman, born around 1790ish. He seems to have disappeared after 1838. Believe he may have moved his family to Hull. Please could anyone look him up on the 1851 census to see if he is there. Many thanks Jackie

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 8 Mar 2004 21:46

Hi Jackie - is a waterman the same as a Lighterman? I do know someone who has info on Lightermen, but if it's not the same job/occupation then it would be no good to you. Let me know. Jacqui

Debs

Debs Report 8 Mar 2004 22:41

Jacqui, Sorry I don't have the census you need but have you tried a surname search by the Company of Watermen and Lightermen. It costs about £6. Sorry I don't have the website address to hand but if you type "Company of Watermen" in search engine you should get the site. Good luck. Debbie

Jackie

Jackie Report 9 Mar 2004 23:45

Thanks Jacqui and Debbie Yes -I think that a waterman is the same as a mariner, though wouldn't state my life on it. Did find the site for watermen but haven't yet subscribed as not really sure when he died. All I know is that he was named as a waterman when he married in 1798, and a mariner in 1838 on his daughter's marriage certificate. Have found absolutely nothing else on him. Jackie