Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which Irish county?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 6 Mar 2004 21:11

Could somrone please help? I know my ancestor John Boylan came to England and settled in St. Helens,but I dont know how to find whereabouts in Ireland he came from. Does anyone have any suggestions/ and are other people having this difficulty? Pauline

Mary

Mary Report 7 Mar 2004 01:22

Pauline Many 'Boylans' & 'Boyles' come from County Donegal. Others are scattered round the country. Put 'Leitrim-Roscommon FHS' into Google. The site gives info about other counties, as it becomes available. Another site is called'Irish Genealogy'. It gives all kinds of information. It's not easy to get Irish info on the net, but it's great when you find the smallest clue!:0) Happy hunting, Mary

Jackie

Jackie Report 7 Mar 2004 07:11

hi pauline . have you tried looking on the census for him , you maybe lucky i was in the same situation as yourself, all i knew was ireland somewhere. lucky for me he had belfast down as place of birth , helped narrow my search. best wishes,jackie

Catherine

Catherine Report 7 Mar 2004 14:33

I am also having trouble tracing family who came from Ireland to England. Joseph and Mary HARPER both born in Ireland settled in Stockport Lancashire!! Can't seem to get any further back :-(

Pauline

Pauline Report 7 Mar 2004 23:14

Thanks to you all for your help, If I manage to find anything I`ll let you all know. cheers, Pauline