Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I know this may seem silly ..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 5 Mar 2004 19:17

Now not to start speaking too soon but I haven't come accross any virus's at all yet,even though there has been loads of mesages on the subject. I am very very careful what E.mails I open just in case..now this is my question...........I know I have Norton anti virus installed and I do run it from time to time, but does it run in the background if I didn't run it. I noticed on another posting that I should run norton when on Free BMD ...also how?I run ad-aware every week should I do this more often Grateful thanks Lynn

Judy

Judy Report 5 Mar 2004 19:35

Lynn: As long as there is a Norton Icon showing in your icon tray (bottom right hand corner of your screen,) yes, Norton is running in the background of your computer. You should scan your computer once a week for good measure. Adaware should be run once a week or so, more if you've been surfing the net a lot as you are collecting spyware out on the internet. Adaware does not run in the background and needs to be run manually. Free BMD and other sites don't infect your computer with viruses....spyware, yes....so it's not Norton you need to run after visiting these sites, but Adaware. It's not necessary to run Adaware everytime you visit Free BMD but should be done, like I mentioned above, at least once a week. Usually one or two pieces of spyware on your computer doesn't do any harm....it's when there is an accumulation of it that it will start causing problems for you. Update your anti virus definitions often.......Judy

Lianne

Lianne Report 5 Mar 2004 19:54

lynn i thought i was in the same boat as you up until this afternoon - i have never had a virus in the six years that i have had a computer. until i turned it on this afternoon - i had a strange email in my y a h o o inbox regarding "my document" - using y a h o o i scanned it and discovered it was the netsky virus. thankfully yahoo won't let you download attachments until it has scanned them. then five minutes later i received another email regarding "my picture" - containing the exact same virus. now i am glad that i chose an email addy that included free virus checking - if i had one of those email softwares that download it to your computer there could have been problems good luck all lianne

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 5 Mar 2004 20:26

Lynn, I, at this present moment in time, have scheduled my norton to do a DAILY live update, as if you haven't updated Norton it will now know what virus's to look out for. Norton did 2 live updates yesterday, and I am gald I have scheduled it to run daily as NETSKY D came out on Monday, and so far today Norton has picked it up 12 times! I really want to know which one of my friends got it first! Kim