Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roy

Roy Report 5 Mar 2004 16:30

My great grandfather was not on 1901 census how can I find him

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Mar 2004 16:32

I have a similar problem with a few of my rellies, I'd suggest 1837 online to see if you can find any information...

mab

mab Report 5 Mar 2004 16:57

Sometimes the name is misheard/mistranscribed. If you think he should be there, post the name, date or place of birth here, and perhaps someone will spot him

Lesley

Lesley Report 5 Mar 2004 17:34

I couldn't find a great aunt of mine with her son, so I did a search just by using christian names. I found her but her surname was spelt completely differently. If you know where they were born you should be able to find them. Give it a try. Lesley

Mystified

Mystified Report 7 Mar 2004 08:26

As said above, it was prob. mis-transcribed... so for example my ggrandad Ferguson was not on the 1901 so when I searched with his christian name i put Ferg* and there he was as FERGERSON. Don't forget a lot of ancestors were illiterate and the enumerator prob. put in what he thought the spelling was. In the 1901 a lot of school children were shown at school how to do the census so they could help their parents.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Mar 2004 16:19

It depends how old he was. He could have been abroard in the Boer War as my grandfather was.

Robert

Robert Report 7 Mar 2004 16:48

My Grandfather Robert Burn and his family were mistakenly labelled by the enumerator as Burns in the 1901 census of Swansea. There is no way that the family would have called themselves Burns. Then the name was mis-transcribed by the PRO as Barns. The PRO did alter the entry back to Burns after I pointed out the error, but I could see why the Barns mistake was made. So.... check different spellings first.