Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed - how can i be sure i have the right p

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2004 22:51

hi i ordered my grandparents birth certs which gave me their parents names. i then looked up their parents on ancestry and family search and found the right names marrying the right people. i had no clue of area or dates other than what i had found on the two sites. to go any further i will need to order their parents marriage certs, but can i do that on just their names as i dont know if the dates and areas i found are correct? even tho ancesty and family search only threw up one entry for each marriage under those names can i be sure they are the right ones? the names, for anyone who might be able to find any other info for me are - Thomas D Paling married Elizabeth Franklin (1898 according to ancestry etc) George Rainbird married Elizabeth Bradbury (1904 according to ancestry etc) will be grateful for any help Julie

Ernest

Ernest Report 3 Mar 2004 23:31

Julie; you will find that you cannot rely solely on you PC to provide all the answers to family history problems. You have an excellent start with the names and dates that you have. Now comes the detective work and of course the interesting and frustrating bit. this entails you going along to your nearest records office, armed with all your info and doing your manuel searches. As I say interesting, highly frustrating but very satisfying when the answers fall into place. May I be so bold as to suggest that you join your local Genealogy Society; you will find the people very friendly and willing to show you the ropes; Good luck. Ernest