Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leeds address query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Mar 2004 12:15

I have the following address on the 1881 census - 17 Blakewell Ox Yd, Leeds. Can anyone hazzard a guess at where it is? Jeanette

Emma

Emma Report 3 Mar 2004 12:24

Jeanette, This is taken from 1891 Leeds census description: All that part of the Central Ward of the borough and township of Leeds commencing at the centre of Briggate opposite the West end of Kirkgate thence Northwardly along the centre of Briggate to the centre of Wood Street, thence Eastwardly along the centre of Wood Street to Vicar Lane, thence Southwardly along Vicar Lane to Kirkgate, thence Northwardly along the Centre of Kirkgate to Briggate aforesaid including Briggate East side, from Kirkgate to Wood Street, Wood Street South side to Vicar Lane, Vicar Lane West side, from Wood Street to Kirkgate, Kirkgate North side from Vicar Lane to Briggate, Smith's Yard, Peaces Yard, Fleet Street, Cheapside, Blakewell Ox-Yards, Boy and Barrel yard, Leadenhall Street, Gills yard, Bewley's yard, Golden Cock yard, Dennis Yard, & Fish Street. The whole in Leeds Central Parliamentary divison. It looks like it's somewhere in what is now Leeds City Centre -Vicar Lane, Kirkgate and Briggate are Leeds city centre streets. Emma.

Emma

Emma Report 3 Mar 2004 12:26

And this from another site: Blakewell Ox yd, 110 Brgt Looks like it was off Briggate Street. Emma.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Mar 2004 12:38

Thanks for that Emma. I thought it sounded pretty central but not being familiar with Leeds I thought I'd ask. Are you a Leeds lass yourself? Jeanette

Emma

Emma Report 3 Mar 2004 12:46

Jeanette, I'm originally from the South but moved to Leeds when I was 13. Went to London when I was 22/23 but have been back in Yorkshire for 12 years. We're currently living in beween Huddersfield and Wakefied and in the process of finding a house in North Lincs (due to hubby's work). My parents are still in Leeds so go there quite regularly. It's slightly better for shopping than here in Huddersfield!! Emma.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Mar 2004 13:08

Emma I've heard Leeds is supposed to be really good for shopping although I've never been. Suppose I should make the effort afterall Hull isn't that far away is it? My sister lives just outside sunny Scunny in N E Lincs. She says the shopping there is pretty poor too but they've just opened a branch of H & M which she's quite pleased about! Jeanette

Catherine

Catherine Report 23 Dec 2010 20:39

Blakewell ox yard is just off briggate Leeds. The leodis site has photographs of Leeds, some very old, including this yard.
www.leodis.org
search by era or address. If anyone has old photos of Leeds or area please donate. Wonderful and informative site.
Catherine

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Dec 2010 20:47

Catherine

This thread is 6 years old !!

I am fairly certain this person is no longer a member of GR

GB