Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

F R C, London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 2 Mar 2004 09:47

Can anyone tell me if I can look at birth certiicates here before buying them, as I have a few contenders for one of my ancestors and need to check out his parents first? If not, is it possible to do this anywhere? I have got my possibles from 1837 0n line.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 2 Mar 2004 10:01

Hi The only thing you can look at, at the FRC, is the gro ref like what you get on Free BMD. To get the parents you could do a parish register look up, but you would need to know where they were married baptised etc, and then go to a local records office that hold parish registers.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 2 Mar 2004 18:02

Thanks, Siobhan, for coming to my assistance. So will parish registers show parents names so I can pick my man?

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 2 Mar 2004 18:14

Helen, Parish Registers will show a microfiche copy of the actual marriage certificate or in some cases the actual marriage certificate, which of course will show fathers names, occupations and witnesses Jean.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 3 Mar 2004 14:58

Jean, thank-you, that's what I needed to know! Cheers Helen