Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not sure how to order birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 1 Mar 2004 11:45

:

Janet

Janet Report 1 Mar 2004 11:45

I want to order my great grandmother's birth certificate. She is Mary Ann Pegg, born December Quarter 1845, Erpingham XIII. On Free BMD the Page no. is shown as [75], so I double checked on 1837. To me it looks more like 96, though could also possibly be 95. As I can't afford to waste money, could someone advise please on the best way to order this certificate? Many thanks, Jan.

Anne

Anne Report 1 Mar 2004 12:07

I think if you put down both numbers and an explanation they will choose the right one. I shouldn't think there will be much doubt with all the other info. There is a space at the end of the online form for you to put things like that, although when I used to send by post I hust wrote it beside the page number space. I don't suppose the on line form will let you do that! Anne

Julie

Julie Report 1 Mar 2004 12:10

jan just to add to your confusion this is what her entry on Ancestry. co.uk reads Name: Pegg, Mary Ann Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1845 District: Erpingham County: Norfolk Volume: 13 Page: [79] i would send ALL numbers you have with a covering note explaining. if you give them all the names dates etc they should be able to track down the right one for you Julie

Janet

Janet Report 1 Mar 2004 13:40

Thanks, Ann and Julie, I'll see what happens. I must say that, now I'm transcribing for FreeBMD, I have much more sympathy with these anomalies. Even though I'm working from typed lists, its still often impossible to read what the numbers are meant to be. I'm currently working on Births for 1887, I've done some Cs, Ds and am now on to Es, so if that is what you are waiting for, they will soon be on line. Off to order that certificate. Jan

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 1 Mar 2004 14:21

Why not try the District Registrar they dont use these indexes and if they can't find it you don't pay I think. Bob

Chris

Chris Report 1 Mar 2004 14:25

Jan I'd go along with Robert. Also a lot quicker should get certificate back by return post. Chris

Janet

Janet Report 1 Mar 2004 16:57

I've never tried using a district registrar - can you order on line or do you have to write to them? How much does it cost please? Jan.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 1 Mar 2004 20:05

You can find the districts here http://www.genuki(.)org.uk/big/eng/RegOffice/ it costs £7 plus SAE the registers for Erpingham have been split but if you get the wrong one they often send it to the right one. Bob