Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FRC or Croydon Library????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvette

Yvette Report 1 Mar 2004 10:51

My husband has just won husband of the year award by offering to take me down to London to go through the parish registers of my Croydon ancestors. Trouble is i am not sure where would be the best place to go. My first thought was Croydon Library, but they might not cover every area i am after, so then i thought the FRC would be better, however on looking at their website they have two coach parties booked -on the only day we can go -for 85 people. As i have never been before i am wondering if it means i am unlikely to get near anything, or is a such a large building that i should be ok? If so can anyone who has been before offer any advice to make it a really useful day? It could be a long while before i get the chance again. Yvette

Michele

Michele Report 1 Mar 2004 11:24

Hi Yvette, You could try The London Metropolitian Archives I believe they have parish records, The address is 40, Northampton Road, london EC1R OHB Phone 020 7332 3820 or another might be worth trying is The Society Of Genealogists they are at 14, Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell road, London EC1M 7BA Phone 020 7702 5485 I would personally phone first to make sure they have what you want and that it's available without having to be ordered. Where ever you decide to go have fun. Michele

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 1 Mar 2004 20:05

Yvette have mailed you about croydon Shelli

Yvette

Yvette Report 1 Mar 2004 23:32

Michele and Shelli Many thanks for your replies. I will chase up Croydon Library first, it would be nice to get it all sorted there as i have relatives in the area. However i am still interested to hear from anyone who has been to the FRC in case i end up going there........... Regards Yvette