Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Northants or not

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 28 Feb 2004 16:21

Can anyone tell me was Peterborough in Northamptonshire in 1901 it used to be The Soke Of Peterborough i think (Northants) it's now Cambridgeshire i'm going to get a Census Voucher to try and find rellies so it could make a difference Thanks David

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 28 Feb 2004 16:40

My Grandfather was born in Peterborough in 1861 and it was certainly in the county of Northamptonshire then. He gave Northampton, meaning Northamptonshire, as his place of birth and it has taken endless birth certificate purchases to find the correct one! Peterboro' has its own Family History Society which can be accessed through the Genuki website. Rosemary(Chelmsford)

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 28 Feb 2004 16:43

David, I have just re-read your message. A census voucher will give you access to the whole of England. Rosemary

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Feb 2004 16:46

Some parishes which are now joined onto Peterborough (south of the Nene) were in Huntingdonshire.

David

David Report 28 Feb 2004 16:56

Hi Rosemary & Geoff Thanks very much that confirms what i thought, i have been to the FHC a few times, i did know south of the river is in Hunts but did'nt know some of the records were held in Town makes sense though Thanks again David

Janet

Janet Report 28 Feb 2004 19:38

Yes David Peterborough was once part of Northamptonshire, and then they defected! Seriously, don't dismiss Northamptonshire resources. You could check with www(.)northants-history(.)org.uk (remove brackets, of course) They may have something of use to you. Good Luck Janet

Janet

Janet Report 28 Feb 2004 19:39

Geoff - I see you mention the Nene. Do you pronounce it Nen or Neen?

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Feb 2004 20:13

I believe it's supposed to be pronounced Nen but I'd normally pronounce it Neen. No-one here in Glos really cares.

Janet

Janet Report 28 Feb 2004 23:05

Geoff The pronunciation varies - there's no right or wrong way. In Northamptonshire up as far as Thrapston it's pronounced Nen, and from Thrapston onwards, through Oundle towards Peterborough, it's pronounced Neen. I just wondered how outsiders pronounced it! :o)