Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can you believe AOL?!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 27 Feb 2004 15:08

I have just had an email returned from an AOL address saying it does not accept them 'from my source' - BT internet. I have been in regular contact with her before Christmas, not from this site. Fortunately I have her real address so it will just have to be snail mail! All you AOL users - how many emails are you missing?? Anne

Judy

Judy Report 27 Feb 2004 15:54

Anne: AOL users have been having this problem ever since AOL implemented their "new and improved" (I used those words loosely!) spam protection. Using one of the free e-mail accounts available to all is one way around the problem you are having....Y A H O O(.)com. Judy

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Feb 2004 16:00

AOL are renowned for being awful... I don't know why anyone uses them... guess it's something to do with their advertising being better than anyone elses...

Anne

Anne Report 27 Feb 2004 16:03

Judy It's not me that has AOL! BT internet is my server and they are now teamed up with Y a h o o, perhaps this is why AOL don't like us any more! I feel like a pariah!!! Anne

Marcie

Marcie Report 27 Feb 2004 16:28

hi i have aol, and not had anything but spam all week, i,m sure i have lost info this way, then i am to embarrassed to re ask marcie x

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 27 Feb 2004 16:32

I posted a thread about this some time back but it caused a little "disagreement". Personally I woudn't recommend them to any-one Yes I have used them. Bob

Linda from Murton

Linda from Murton Report 27 Feb 2004 16:35

I used them when I first got my computer in 2000. Tried to get rid of them in 2001 and goosed my whole system. Lost a lot of data when I had to reformat. OK I should have backed up, but in those days didnt know how. I have used Lineone/Tiscalli ever since and get excellent service. Only wish I could get broadband where I live, but cant.

Sharon

Sharon Report 27 Feb 2004 18:06

Hi Anne I am also with BT and cannot email anyone on AOL and am getting really fed up with it now. Made my husband get on the phone to them as soon as he got in. After hanging on the phone for ages, finally got through to their call centre in India! to someone that didnt understand english very well. After a while managed to find out that it is a fault on the BT end that they are aware of and are trying to fix. Hope it doesnt take long i need to contact a few people who use AOL. I have found that if you need to email someone who uses AOL and they are registered on this site you can email them through GC ok. Sharon

Lynn

Lynn Report 27 Feb 2004 23:02

Hi all,I tried to mail someone tonight in answer to the mail I received from them and I was almost pulling my hair out.They are with AOL and I am with BT...lets hope that they sort it out and sharpish whoever is to blame for the fault and that no info is lost along the way,After all we get charged enough for the service Lynn

Bob

Bob Report 28 Feb 2004 12:42

As someone who has been around computers since Babbage was a lad I avoided aol like the plague they are. If you want to know about them type aol sucks into google. If you want to unsubscribe they are harder to get rid of than the Readers Digest and, by the look of it, Ancestry too. Bob