Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do i find a death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 26 Feb 2004 17:05

I need some help trying to find a John lambert Davison's first wife . i know he was born in 1895 and he marriaged olive hardy in 1920, but on the marriage certificate it say widower. Any help would be great.. Oh he was from chester le street. Found 2 marriages in 1915 to a john l davison Isabella Shotton - John L Davison, Elizabeth J Marley - John L Davison. how do i check for a death... thanks for the help susan.

Sheila

Sheila Report 26 Feb 2004 17:34

have you tried on www.freebmd.org.uk ?

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 26 Feb 2004 17:47

finding a death wouldn't settle it, as you still wouldn't know if the other one also died -- not too unlikely, the flu epidemic killed a lot of people of all ages if you've got the father's name from the 1920 marriage, you could order a 1915 marriage cert, quote both references and ask them to check the father's name to pick the right one

Maggie

Maggie Report 26 Feb 2004 17:48

Hi Susan, I think freebmd only goes up to about 1907 at the moment but you could go onto the 1837 online site use the link in the Resource Centre on the left hand side of the page. You would have to search about 5 years but it only costs about 10p per page. Maggie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Feb 2004 23:05

Hi Susan Was he always known as John, as there is also a marriage of a Lambert Davison to spouse Maddock in 1915. Gateshead 10a 1477 1st qtr. As Gateshead is near Chester-le-Street it could be him if he was known by his middle name.

Susan

Susan Report 27 Feb 2004 07:54

Really not to sure on that but he could have been , because he father was also called john and i'm guessing his grandfather was probably called john also.. how do i ask for a search of the fathers name?.

Joan

Joan Report 27 Feb 2004 08:17

Susan, I get my certificates by post from the Register Office local to my search area...for you Gateshead or probably Newcastle. I give them all the information I am sure of and two or three GRO references...and a £7 cheque., and a sae. They very kindly sent the cert. that matches or return the cheque. Very quick service...by return in fact. Joan