Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CANADIAN RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 Feb 2004 16:53

Hello, my great great grandmother's brother went to Canada sometime after 1901. Where would I be able to find on passenger lists or Canadian census? thanks Lucia

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 25 Feb 2004 17:50

Hi Lucia; Try the National Archives at http://www(.)archives(.)ca/ Remove the brackets

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 Feb 2004 20:48

Hi Teresa, Thanks for the link. I managed to find his attestation paper, which gave loads of information. I can't believe I could find all this for free. Lucia

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 Feb 2004 22:13

Does anyone know where I can find Canadian bmd records on the internet?

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Feb 2004 02:19

Hi Lucia What province did you find the war records for? Each province has it's own records for BMD. Ontario where I am from has only released the indexes for certain years. Beyond that time, you have to have the exact dates and send written proof of your relation to get them due to privacy. The years available are: Births: 1869-1906 Marriages: c. 1801-1921 (Note: There are many gaps in pre-1869 marriage records) Deaths: 1869-1931 Other provinces handle their records similarly. That said the indexes and the records they refer to can be ordered from your local LDS Church for a few pennies. There are a few websites that are slowly putting some of the BMD indexes for the same period online. Hope this gives you some idea. Sandra in Ontario

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 26 Feb 2004 16:09

Hi Sandra, I am looking for records in Ontario, Can you tell me the website, where I can find BMD index? thanks Lucia

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 26 Feb 2004 19:41

Lucia I have mailed you I hope you don't mind I am trying to find how to get my uncle's military records as he was in the Canadian expeditionery forces in WW1 as I have just found out today from the Canadian Archives site. I have even seen the image of his attestation paper. with his signature on it. I was very close to this Uncle so it was quite emotional to read it. Just thought I would share that with anyone who is interested Regards Ann,Darlington,UK

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 26 Feb 2004 22:08

Hi ann, well done! When I found my ggguncle's war record, I was quite pleased with all the information it gave, especially his signature and next of kin . Lucia

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 29 Feb 2004 13:02

Hi Ann, thank you for sending me the form, I do not have proof of death, where would I be able to find his death? Lucia

Sandra

Sandra Report 29 Feb 2004 19:22

Hi Lucia Have not been on the computer much the last few days- just checked in here and saw your request that I supply a few of the links - well there are not many for the 1900's because of the privacy rules but I have made a list of a couple that might be of interest Volunteer entries for vital stats are present at this site: http://www.rootsweb(.)com/~onvsr/ Vital stats seem to be hit and miss depending on the ambition of each county genealogical society. Links to ones displaying some records can be found by scrolling to bottom of page at the below link http://olivetreegenealogy(.)com/can/ont/ont_vsbirths.shtml You can search the pages of the Toronto Star newspaper for 1945 by putting in the surname you are looking for. You can then view any pages with hits on it. http://thestar.pagesofthepast.ca/ There is a site that has quite a few of Ontario's cemeteries listed- not complete but better than nothing. The site is as follows: http://www.islandnet(.)com/cgi-bin/ms2/jveinot/search Remember to remove the brackets. Hope you are successful in finding a few of your relatives through these, I certainly have been. Sandra in Ontario

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 29 Feb 2004 20:09

Thank you for the list, Sandra. I think I may have found him on the cemetery website. Lucia

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Mar 2004 00:18

You are welcome Lucia! I was glad to help. You probably had already got your answer before I got back to you but perhaps someone else will be able to use it. I sometimes feel embarrassed about the lack of information available in Canada compared to the UK and USA. Not sure why the authorities have made it so difficult to get information. I realize however that slowly a lot of countries are heading in that direction as well. A few seem to ruin it for the rest of us who are interested in our heritage and history. Good luck with the rest of your hunt. Sandra