Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

any ideas please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 25 Feb 2004 15:26

Hi . everybody tells me you could not bury someone without a death cert, and I have been to the family records office a good 12 times looking for this death but have never found it.I can pin it down to 2 years 1889-1891 on the 1881 census he was living in Edmonton North london or Middlesex, in 1891 she was a widow, with 2 small children. Her name Emma Poole his William Poole. I have phoned the cemetries in the area they have no record I have also had a search done at the Edmonton record office no luck. I was wondering what I could do next. any Ideas please Margaret.

Dawn

Dawn Report 25 Feb 2004 16:09

Margaret, Just a thought. I may be plucking at straws here, but I wonder if he died in a hospital in another area? Regards Sarah

BrianW

BrianW Report 25 Feb 2004 16:19

What were the childrens ages in 1891? That should narrow down the death date range a bit.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 25 Feb 2004 16:39

Hi the childrens ages were 9 and 2 years old in 1891 that is how I know he must have died between 1889 -1891. She remarried in 1893, to a widower in church in Edmonton and what looks like her brother and sister inlaws as witness's James Poole and Susan Poole. william is registered as the Father for the 2 year old and he was working.Do you think it would be worth seeing if the said church carried out a burial service for him.Margaret

JillGr

JillGr Report 25 Feb 2004 17:39

If I couldn't find a death for any of my lot it was likely that they died at sea. There is a separate set of indexes for folk who died at sea. Other than that I can't help. I'm still searching for the death of my Gt Grandmother who was alive in 1907 (age 60). I've asked all the likely cemeteries and no-one has buried her -(yet!) Jill

Sandra

Sandra Report 25 Feb 2004 20:13

Hi, Do you know his age on death or if he had any other names there are quite a lot of william pooles on freebmd if you know the age it could be registered in a nearbye district sandra

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 26 Feb 2004 08:00

Hi Sandra, yes I have seen all the deaths on Free bmd but can't say any of them are him would have to buy the whole lot, as far as i know William was his only name. Margaret

Joan

Joan Report 26 Feb 2004 08:26

margaret, You may not have to buy all the certificates if you apply to the local register office. The Birmingham RO return my cheques if the informaion on my application doesn't match the certificate. It seems they will do mini searches if you give them 3 GRO numbers say.Good luck.Joan

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Feb 2004 08:35

I don't know if it would help to search for an earlier death for William. My great grandmother was shown to be a widow with a small baby in 1881 census but I have her husband's death certificate for 1876! Don't mean to cast a shadow on your family, but it could be a possible answer. Was she at the same address 1881 and 1891? Perhaps that would help to narrow a parish record search.Maybe a baptism entry for the younger child would help.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 26 Feb 2004 12:00

Hi Yes she was at the same address in the 1881 and 1891 census, I have the babies birth cert, unless she was not telling the truth and the baby was not her husbands. In which case can you register the birth and use the fathers name and state his job, I suppose you could. But even after she remarried and in the 1901 census she still calling that child by her husband name, perhaps I would not lie but suppose she could have. Margaret.

Kim

Kim Report 26 Feb 2004 16:40

I thought you could only name the father on the birth cert if unmarried if he was present or if he registered it, but perhaps that is only if you were not married?And if you were married I suppose you would name your husband even if he was not the father? LONG BEFORE DNA TESTS?! KIM