Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family history society

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 25 Feb 2004 09:15

Dear all, I am afraid you will have to forgive my ignorance. I was just wondering what the benefits are of joining a local family history group for the areas I am looking into.??? Thanking you in advance LOL anna XXXXXXXXXXX

Anne

Anne Report 25 Feb 2004 15:14

At a price usually less than £10 per year the FHSs give good value with several journals per year and things like parish fiche and CDs for sale as well as a good 'bookstore'. Also if you are lucky enough to have a relevant One Name Society that is very helpful. I belong to the Bedfordshire FHS and the East (one name) FHS. Anne

Marcie

Marcie Report 25 Feb 2004 15:58

hi can you advise me please,if the areas you are researching are far from you, is there any point joining as you would not beable to attend any meetings e.t.c., have often wondered about this, which is the best way to go marcie x

Rachel

Rachel Report 25 Feb 2004 19:36

There is a website which brings together all the fam his soc. Its www(.)ffhs(.)co(.)uk. It pretends to be a big hall with lots of stands from all the fam hist soc. You can buy loads from the site, altough each fhs has different things that they have available to buy. Good luck! Rachel

Irene

Irene Report 25 Feb 2004 20:03

You can add your interests to these journals, as they go to Australia, Canada, NZ etc you may get people hunting the same family as you. You can also check to see who else is looking for the same names, as they give address for you to contact. Not everyone has computers. It also helps the FHS's to keep going, they are the ones who get their members to help transcribe the parish records, without which we would spend even longer looking for our families. The older the records the harder it is to read them. Irene

Anne

Anne Report 25 Feb 2004 21:07

The Bedfordshire FHS reduces the membership fee if you live far away and cannot get to meetings. Apart from that it makes no difference as the journals are posted. I have even done some transcribing of memorial inscriptions for them. I live 300 miles from Bedfordshire! Anne

Marcie

Marcie Report 25 Feb 2004 21:16

hi all thanks for info marcie x