Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Tipton Query please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 24 Feb 2004 18:51

Hello Could anyone let me know if there is or was a place called Upper Green in Tipton Staffs please. Thank you Shirley

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Feb 2004 20:00

I've had a look on the old maps web site the nearest I could see would be for address 25 + WR15 8TG Upper Green, St. Michaels, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire [1-2] 100% 26 + WV6 Upper Green, Wolverhampton, West Midlands 100% and nothing for area. I don't know the area so please dont take what I found as gospel!

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 24 Feb 2004 20:22

Hello Jo Thank you for looking I have tried to get on the www(.)old(.)maps(.)co(.)uk website but have had to wait for ages. did you find it useful? Shirley

Emma

Emma Report 24 Feb 2004 23:33

Hi Shirley, According to "The Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry" who are selling the Staffordshire 1851 census on cd-rom Dudley, Part 2; Tipton Includes; Bloomfield, Burnt Tree, Doe Bank, Gospel Oak, Great Bridge, Horsley Heath, Lea Brook, Lower Green, Puppy Green, Sheepwash, Tipton, Tipton Green, Tividale (part), Toll End, UPPER GREEN. Guessing it is or was near the other places mentioned if you're hunting it on a map. Emma.

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Feb 2004 23:41

The website with the old maps is http://www.old-maps.*co.uk/ without the *, but it doesn't recognise Upper Green.

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Feb 2004 23:56

Hi Shirley, I often look on the site to find the where abouts of places. You can do place name and address, sometimes it has a few to choose from. Staffordshire and Worcester boundries are do get mixed up, I have family from Staffordshire but sometimes Worcester and even west Bromwich. May be it was busy when you were trying, I didn't have a problem. Where in the North East are you? Good luck in your hunting, Jo

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 25 Feb 2004 09:22

Hello All Thank you so much for your help. Maybe I can move on now. Jo I am in York. Shirley

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 25 Feb 2004 13:27

As someone who was born in the Midlands (Walsall) Tipton is very close to Wolverhampton. You do not give any dates but I have the 1851 census CD's for Tipton

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Feb 2004 08:52

I've just seen someone looking for Upper Green, Tipton on a mailing list, looking for William Wheal and Hannah Turton. It's on the archive cdbooks mailing list, thought it might interest you.