Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

who can help me with UK Web Family Organis........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 24 Feb 2004 16:24

Hi, I have a problem with the uk web family organisation site. How do you sign up and log in? Can someone help me please? It`s probably quite easy to most people but I overseeing something. Its the site with all the surnames listed and with luck you find recent rellies. Many thanks Julie

Kim

Kim Report 24 Feb 2004 16:36

sSorry can't answer How to login because I can't either! apparently its something to do with internet explorer 6 only supporting the site, but I think there's more to it than that because there was lots of discussion about this site about a month ago and I could acess it then, but not now. Kim

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 24 Feb 2004 16:38

Hi Julie, When this site first appeared,everyone was very wary,as to how the information got there in the first place,but obviously,they have posted a message stating how,and also they will not enter into any correspondence regarding this,I too in the beginning was able to access information,but now I am unable,just like yourself.Lets hope someone has an answer. trish

Julie

Julie Report 24 Feb 2004 16:43

Hi Trish, Yes i was wondering how the info got on the site as i found my sister on there who died in 1998 aged 40. I didn`t submit any info and thought if i managed to log on then perhaps there would be a few terms ect.. to explain. Julie

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 24 Feb 2004 16:59

Hi Julie Yes I too saw my brothers name on there who died in 1999, but when you stop and think about it anyone can have access to birth deaths and marriages,if you have the time to compile everything.To bring a lighter note to it all,perhaps we could all find a little man/woman with plenty of time on their hands,to sit and list everyone.A different one from each town. I wonder then if they could apply for a Lottery Grant,towards their costs.pens paper etc.or even a computer.Hopefully then if it was funded,we that find tracing our family tree would get all the information for free. Sorry just my humour and trying to make light of a situation otherwise very annoyed,not gaining access to the site. trish

Kim

Kim Report 24 Feb 2004 23:18

Apparently if I remember rightly only deaths between 1996 and the prsent are shown and only a few of those. .When i did access it in January it just had a birth and death date and a nameand place of death. The birth dates were guesses just as the age at death is often wrong on death certs, so I do think you would get details of who put it there. it has come under a lot of discussion on these boards and upset many people. KIM

Peter

Peter Report 26 Feb 2004 16:41

This website has just gone online again - but I don't know where they get their information, nor how to access their records! If you click on a name it asks for a log-in name and password but there is no information as to how to get one..very curious. Also - it has details of one of my relatives and I know, as an absolute certainty, that the information was not provided by any of her family (it is possible someone at an old people's home submitted it). I don't object to them having the details but their assurance that their information only comes from family members is a complete and transparent lie...

Sue

Sue Report 26 Feb 2004 18:32

Phillip I tried that about 2 weeks ago and my e-mail was returned by Mailer Daemon. I will try again though and let you know what happens. Sue

Sue

Sue Report 27 Feb 2004 23:40

I e-mailed them at 7pm on 26 February. No reply yet, but my mail hasn't been returned either, so fingers crossed! Sue

Judy

Judy Report 28 Feb 2004 01:18

Can someone post the site's address for me? The owner of the site's name, address, and a contact phone number is usually obtainable by checking the domain owner. The server that hosts the site would be listed as well....maybe the host would be able to shed some light on the subject for you. Judy

Crista

Crista Report 28 Feb 2004 01:18

This has been discussed on another thread a few months ago. Birth, marriage and death info. is public. It can be found on 1837 online or any library for free. This is where web family gets their information from. It does not come from GC. Where does it say it had been entered by family members? The only thing is see is this: "We never disclose the names of our contributors to any other party. If you find data on our site about members of your family, then please accept that it was entered by someone else, and that's all there's to it. We will not enter into any dialogue over the rights and wrongs about on-line genealogy data, neither about who has the right or doesn't have the right to contribute information about your family." Crista

Judy

Judy Report 28 Feb 2004 03:29

For those interested on checking on the site owner, it can be looked up at the UK Internet Registry (for some reason not currently accessible to me on my end.) http://www.ukinternetregistry(.)com/whois.html More than likely a lot of the information at the site is probably obtained through public records and the occasional contributor. Judy

Sheila

Sheila Report 28 Feb 2004 05:46

can someone give me the web address...tried that mentioned earlier without success..thanks

Judy

Judy Report 28 Feb 2004 08:16

The address for the site: www.webfamily.org.uk

Barbara

Barbara Report 28 Feb 2004 09:05

Just to add, if you are subscribed to ancestry you can see bdm's up to 2002 My Granny is on there, she died in 1997. of course they don't have the full records as they use the Freebdm database but clearly theyuse others as well. A typical search on a surnmae can throw up results like this Birth, Marriage, & Death Records 604 matches | info Cheshire, England: Parish and Probate Records 7 England and Wales Civil Registration Death Index: 1984-1992 43 England and Wales Civil Registration Death Index: 1993-2002 33 England and Wales, Civil Registration Index: 1837-1983 521 So thats how more recent ones can be picked up - or rather one way!

Sue

Sue Report 4 Mar 2004 08:37

Philip I e-mailed them on 26 Feb and have heard nothing back. At least this e-mail was not returned as my previous one was. Don't know whether it is worth trying again. Sue

Sarah

Sarah Report 5 Mar 2004 17:47

I just wanted to put this back up the top so as I dont loose track of it...as I would be really interested to know the outcome. I too have emailed them, but yet no answer...they also have some relatives of mine on their that died recently so I want to know what information they hold on them. I'm not sure how I feel about them having such recent information on my family members deaths! Kindest Regards Sarah