Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

parish registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 22 Feb 2004 18:55

Hi, I have seen an entry on IGI for the birth of my ggggrandfather, Is there anywhere I can order a copy of original entry in parish register? would the original entry have mother's maiden name? thanks Lucia

Mystified

Mystified Report 22 Feb 2004 20:55

The archive office relating to the Parish will probably do a photocopy of the cert. for a small charge if you ring them. Whether it has the mothe on or even the father is pure luck. That depended on the parish clerk.

Janet

Janet Report 23 Feb 2004 21:36

Have you tried your nearest LDS record centre? They will order whatever you want and you can have copies done if you want them. Jan from Gravesend Kent.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 23 Feb 2004 23:16

Hi John thank you for the reply, have e-mailed archives. Lucia Hi Janet, Where can I find out where my nearest LDS centre is? Lucia

N

N Report 24 Feb 2004 10:33

Look in local phome book under Church of the Latter Day Saints. Or find it on here : http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp Search their catalogue : http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp for details of the parish registers you wish to order. This will then give you a film no. Pay a few £ to order - wait a couple of weeks to arrive - then you will be able to view at their centre for a few weeks.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 24 Feb 2004 16:57

Hi Nina, thank you for the website addresses, I have found my nearest lds centre and the film number. Can you please tell me what a microfiche is? thank you Lucia

N

N Report 24 Feb 2004 17:11

dictionary definition a flat piece of film containing microphotographs of documents. (lots of pages on one fiche) i.e - very similar to a microfilm - but you would use a fiche reader to view it .

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 24 Feb 2004 17:25

thanks Nina