Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there any connection between Norfolk Island and

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 21 Feb 2004 15:31

Does anyone know whether there's any connection between Norfok, England and Norfolk Island (as in Mutiny on the Bounty) ? See Below :

Simon

Simon Report 21 Feb 2004 15:31

My great-grandmother is a Nobbs from Norfolk, England. It wasn't until recently stumbling on a couple of websites that I realised the significance of the name Nobbs in relation to the settlers on Pitcairn Island, some of which were later relocated to Norfolk Island. There are many Nobbs out there, some even with 'Fletcher Christian' as their middle names, and some of which I think came to England. So, as per the title of my message, does anyone know what, if any, links there are between the two Norfolks - Island and County, and subsequently whether the two Nobbs families are linked ? The problem on many genealogy websites concerned with this is that Norfolk Island is simply referred to as 'Norfolk' so it can be confusing to try and pick out any that refer to the county rather than island. (Another website claimed that any (all ?) Nobbs' can effectively claim a kinship with the Tahitian royal family !) Simon

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2004 17:10

All I know is that settlers tended to name places after the area that they were from. Sue G

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2004 17:56

You could try this site: www(.)lareau(.)org/genweb(.)html It has a few links to names of settlers there, something like 250 Nobbs maybe one of the names will tie up with your family, got to be worth a try! Sue G