Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help on Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elspeth

Elspeth Report 21 Feb 2004 15:02

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this!!! My father had a relationship before meeting my mother in the 1970s resulting in the birth of twin girls who were given up for adoption. My fathers name is Anthony Alan Stocks and I know their mother was Iris Frost whose surname was Howard at the time as she had previously been married and had 4 other children, the youngest being Ken or Kenneth. The girls were registered in Sheffield in September 1972 as Joanne Elizabeth and Caroline Margaret. How can I found out if they were adopted together? Or if they kept their registered names? I would love to be able to find my half-sisters - somebody please help! Elle

Seasons

Seasons Report 21 Feb 2004 15:36

Try lookupuk(.)com - has an adoption section and links to adoption register for contacts. missing-you(.)net NORCAP - dad can register with so if they have asked for contact. If you can find out the Social Services Department or Adoption Agency can leave message there or might give you a bit of info Friends Reunited if your dad registers - if they know their original names and parents names may look them up. Genes connected - again with family tree

Sheila

Sheila Report 21 Feb 2004 15:39

Hi Elspeth, Bit tricky this one as you will not be allowed to know their new surname, only hint i can suggest is that you leave messages, on most of the relavant message boards its possible they may search for their birth mother or siblings if they know they have older ones, although they will not know about you, try www.myfolks(.)com and www.lookupuk.co.uk, you can also try registering with norcap and www.1837online(.)co.uk the register for bmd also has a contact register, at least then if they decided to trace their birth family, your details can be forewarded on to them. i wish you the very best of luck with your search. sheila. its possible they may have the same first name, a lot of adoptees still do but this is nsot certain, in my case my first name was also changed