Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Were ALL children baptised pre-1837?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 21 Feb 2004 11:08

Is it possible that a child was never baptised at all? It's as if he was never born at all. Parish records have been searched for his place of birth (stated on 1851 census) but nothing. Have been through every record within a 10 mile radius -still nothing. I am beginnig to wonder if family never bothered having him christened. Is this possible? Jackie PS Can't find death either!!

Grahame

Grahame Report 21 Feb 2004 13:19

Jackie, Not all children were baptised as this was sometimes an expensive undertaking. Several members of my family were baptised as a 'job' lot obviously when enough money had been saved. In this baptism the ages ranged from 16 to 5 years old. So if you haven't done look at the records up to 10years (or more!) after the child was born. If you let me have the name of the child, date of birth and the parish, i will have a look my self for you. Grahame

Jackie

Jackie Report 21 Feb 2004 16:49

Grahame Name Henry Barrett B Gunthorpe 1806. Father John -that's all I know. In 1838 he married Ann Copley in Hull. Living at Hollands Yard, Church Road, Hull (Sculcoates?) when married, father John deceased. Henry was a widow when married in 1838.He and father John were smiths. The family remained in Hull until 20thC. Can't find a first marriage, although a Henry Barrett married an Ann Howler in 1833, Gainsborough.However, can't find a death for her. Nothing at all in Gunthorpe parish records, Norfolk or surrounding towns, or on VRI. No death for him although not found on 1871 census. Did he exist????? Jackie

Stan

Stan Report 21 Feb 2004 19:28

May I suggest that Ann Barrett's death could have been in Hull, perhaps in 1836 or 1837. Widowers could rarely afford to leave it long after their wife's death before re-marrying if they had any children. In my experience they would have to pick someone from close by as well. Stan

Jackie

Jackie Report 21 Feb 2004 21:43

Good idea Stan. Only -I got that wrong. It was Eliza Howlett he married.(close, but not good enough!) Even so, can't find a death for an Eliza Barrett either. Any good soul out there with the latest NBI CD, please........? Jackie

Geoff

Geoff Report 21 Feb 2004 22:09

Why Norfolk?

Jackie

Jackie Report 21 Feb 2004 22:20

I'm sure someone told me it was Norfolk on the census -this was ages ago. Just seemed a long way from Hull. Then I was told that there is a Gunthorpe not far from Hull (having had half the Norfolk FHS looking up the records for Gunthorpe for me). Have since been told that the parish for a Gunthorpe nr Hull would be Gainsborough, Lincs but can't find Henry's christening on IGI. Also have since been told there is a Gunthorpe, Notts too. Help! This brickwall has been ongoing for some months now. Jackie

Stan

Stan Report 22 Feb 2004 01:20

Hi Jackie Did you get my earlier message that Gunthorpe, Lincolnshire, is a hamlet on the west bank of the river Trent, about 5 miles north of Gainsborough? It is in the Parish of Owston Ferry, which was in the Gainsborough Registration District after 1837. Stan

Pam

Pam Report 22 Feb 2004 15:17

Hello Jackie, I hope I don't add to your confusion but Curious Fox list 5 Gunthorpes in the following counties: Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire,Nottinghamshire and Rutland. Also try Ancestral Villages, another good site I have found really useful. www.ancestral-villages.co.uk http://www.curiousfox.com/ Good luck................Pam

Grahame

Grahame Report 22 Feb 2004 17:06

Sorry Jackie, like you i was unable to find anything for you. I will keep searching and se if anything comes up Good luck. Grahame

Jackie

Jackie Report 22 Feb 2004 17:48

Thank you everyone for your ideas and thoughts. Stan -would it have been called Owston Ferry before 1837 and would that have been Lincs or Yorkshire? Jackie

Irene

Irene Report 22 Feb 2004 17:51

By adding my exprencies I hope I will be able to give you some fresh ideas. While looking for Eliza Blake marriage, mothers maiden name on Birth certficiates, which I could not find at all, I had decided that maybe they didn't marry after all (around 1850). Well a chance find lead me to Winchester and found a marriage in her husbands name, still could not find Eliza, so I went ahead and ordered it. Yes it was the right one but her maiden name was Churcher, her father was Blake but she was born two months before her parents marriage hense her mothers name. Another, I have been looking for Arthur Hinton for 3 years now, born about 1848 in Ingatestone Essex (1881 census). I even had lovely people on this site hunting for me, but no I still could not find him. Then last year I found the family minus Arthur in London in the 1891 census with his sister Sophia, another lead. 1901 census said he was born London city. Help still unable to find him. At last I tracked down her birth certificate, which came Friday armed with this information another lovely person on this site looked for them in 1861 and guess what, his name was Ebenezer Arthur born St Lukes London. So keep an open mind when hunting, cover all angles and possiblities. Good Luck Irene

Stan

Stan Report 22 Feb 2004 18:00

Hi Jackie Owston Ferry is in Lincolnshire, one of the Parishes on the Isle of Axholme, west of the river Trent. The Parish appears to be known as Owston. As for most parishes, there is some information on GENUKI about it, under Lincolnshire. Regards Stan

Jackie

Jackie Report 22 Feb 2004 18:05

I am trying Irene. It's soooo frustrating as this is my direct line and as it is before registration the search becomes even harder. Message for sTan or anyone else who knows the area - there is a Henry Barret b Fastby or Eastby (both on LDS). Have tried to locate it on Parloc but not finding the parish. Does anyone know how far it is from Gainsborough/Gunthorpe /Hull? Jackie

Stan

Stan Report 22 Feb 2004 18:49

Hi Jackie This is typical of the confusion caused by members of the LDS Church entering ancestors who also appear in Parish Records. This person is the Henry Barret christened in Skipton in 1804. He must have come from Eastby. Eastby is a hamlet about two miles east of Skipton, and was a township within the historic parish of Skipton, not a parish of its own. It is mentioned in the note about Skipton in GENUKI. I would doubt if there is any connection to your ancestor. Regards Stan

Jackie

Jackie Report 22 Feb 2004 19:24

Thanks for that Stan. I did have a look on the map - nowhere near is it! Also have just looked up deaths that are registered for 1837. Of the ones I can read, nothing hits me in the face. Will just have to be patient! Jackie