Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

police cordons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sinead

Sinead Report 18 Feb 2004 15:53

Hi all , me again!! Would like to pick your brains for some thoughts on the following scenario!!?! My great aunt collapsed at home(Gravesend) and was taken by ambulance to intensive care of hospital(Greenwich) where she later died. After the ambulance came the police arrived and threw cordons around the house and refused entry. There was a post mortem but no inquest. Why would the police throw cordons uo except if they suspected foul play? Wierd query I know but it would help to have other peoples ideas. Many thanks, Sinead

Michele

Michele Report 18 Feb 2004 15:57

Hi Purely my thoughts on the matter and with no expertise of any sort. Possibly because her death looked as if it could have been suspicious and they had to preserve 'the scene' until they could gather any possible evidence. Cause of death was probably proved by post mortem and therefore concluded not to be suspicious. Michele

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 18 Feb 2004 15:57

Sinead this morning got a call to say afamily rellie had died early this morning and as he'd died without illness the police have to investigate and were there this morning Shelli

Sinead

Sinead Report 18 Feb 2004 16:06

Hi Michele, thats what I thought just didn't want to think I was thinking the worst!!Thanks, Shelli, Sorry to hear about you rellie. Had another death at home with another of ny rellies but no ploice that time.Odd. She, Yes I have her death certificate and gives cause of death as cerebral haemorrhage,portal hypertension and cirrhosis of liver. So no great clues that I can see there! Thanks to all for the thoughts, Sinead

Hilary

Hilary Report 18 Feb 2004 17:25

My Father-in-law died a few years back - he was lucky - just had a heart attack in his sleep after spending the day on his allotment. But the police still came and they kept his wife/widow away from the body because all sudden deaths are treated like that. He had also asked us to give his body to medical research but because he died suddenly - hence a post mortem - they wouldn't take it. So we had to plan a funeral and burial etc against his instructions. Our legal framework just doesn't expect you to to simply die with no preamble - even at age 78!

Sue

Sue Report 18 Feb 2004 17:53

When my Mum died. alone, at home from a heart attack, her GP refused to sign the death certificate as he hadn't treated her in the past 7 days (although he had been treating her for heart problems for at least 5 years). The police were then called and stayed until Mum's body was taken away by the funeral directors for a post mortem at the mortuary. When my Dad died at home, of a heart attack, 10 years before, his GP came and signed the death certificate without a problem even though he hadn't seen Dad for a few weeks. I think it just depends on whether the doctor is happy to sign the death certificate or not. Sue

Sinead

Sinead Report 18 Feb 2004 17:54

Thanks to all for your replies. It gives me food for thought and some relief to know it might not have been dodgy. Many thanks, Sinead

Paul

Paul Report 18 Feb 2004 18:00

Key phrase for any young Police Officer to remember.... PRESERVE THE SCENE

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2004 18:03

Sinead, My sister died in December. Her GP was not able to issue her death cert as she had not seen him in the last 14 days. 14 Days seems to be the critical period. Hers was a sudden death and the police had to attend. The ambulance crew were not able to leave my mums house until the police arrived and the police couldn't leave until the Police doctor arrived. Her death was not suspicious, but it was sudden and that is the procedure. No police cordon though! Hope this helps in some way. Eleanorxxx

Sinead

Sinead Report 18 Feb 2004 18:03

you see now I'm thinking dreadful thoughts again!!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 18 Feb 2004 22:37

When my mother in law died 2 and half years ago, in a nursing home, the doctor (a on duty locum) did not sign a death cert, just confirmed she had died, her own doctor was on holiday, and so was the last doctor she saw in hospital approx 10 days earlier. As no Doctor could or would sign a death cert, there had to be a post mortum. Must say the funeral undertakers were brilliant, and helped agreat deal. Liz

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 18 Feb 2004 23:11

Hi As an ex police officer I reported on many sudden deaths in peoples homes. If a doctor would not sign cert. than we had to check out the body, check medicines etc. we would inform the coroners officer who would attend and take control and deal with the family, undertakers and any paperwork that had to be done and would deal directly with the coroner, we needed to make a detailed report of who was there, times etc. I was never involved in any that needed a cordon. It may be that someone wasn't taking any chances or overreacted. If you are worried you could contact your local police station and ask to talk to the officer who attended. It will give you cause of death on cert. a cert. will not be issued if there was any problem. My father died in hospital about 18 monthes ago. I had a problem geeting a death cert. as he died in hospital after a fall and his death may have had to go to an inquest. We had to talk to the coroner before he was happy to give permission for the cert. to be signed. Malcolm

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 19 Feb 2004 21:37

Hello all. I have worked for a GP for the past 18 years and as far as I am aware, a GP can only issue a death certificate if he/she has seen the patient within the past 14 days (and obviously if the death doesn't seem suspicious). This does seem a bit harsh, especially if the patient is elderly and has a chronic disease, but then again, nobody wants another Shipman. Best wishes, Carol.