Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

furious with Gravesend

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sinead

Sinead Report 18 Feb 2004 15:42

Hi all, Just a word of warning and a rant about Gravesend Council. I telephoned them today with regards to locating my great aunt buried in Gravesend Cemetery. I have an exact date of death ,name,next of kin and that it would be a Catholic burial.Not a problem eh? Apparently so! They want 15 pound to do a ten year search on the cemetery and will locate all of the surnames and plots buried there during that time. They will not just check November 1988 for the one person and will not do it over the phone for me. I was furious.I have been in touch with numerous cemeteries and councils and without exception all have been incredibly helpful with answers provided instantly with no charge either in person or over the phone. I now have to somehow make the trip from Rhondda to Gravesend to check the cemetery as I refuse to pay for not only inappropriate info but also for info that is not charged for elsewhere. So be warned about Gravesend- they are no help. Except for a silly fee and then you may not get what you require. Sinead:(((

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2004 16:15

I have family at Highgate cemetery and not only would they charge to find them but if I went there they charge to get in!

Sinead

Sinead Report 18 Feb 2004 16:30

maybe I have just been very lucky then i have contacted about 15 cemeteries and about 7 different councils-no problem. but charging to get in is just ridiculous! Sinead

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2004 17:00

The trouble is that it is now a London Tourist attraction so they can get away with it, as it is still an active cemetery, anyone who has recent relatives buried there and wants to visit has to have a pass. They even do guided tours there!

Sue

Sue Report 18 Feb 2004 18:05

Sinead I agree with you about charging. It is an easy way for a council to make money by cashing in on the genealogy 'boom'. Have you tried posting the details on the Records Office board? Some kind person may be local to Gravesend and be able to help you. Good Luck Sue

Sinead

Sinead Report 18 Feb 2004 18:09

Guided tours round a cemetery-and passes! What sprang to mind just cannot be repeated here! Yes I did post a message - if all else fails I will try to get there in the summer when my boys are off school. Thanks toall Sinead

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2004 18:11

Lewisham is £20, and no records open to the public.

Janet

Janet Report 18 Feb 2004 18:14

SOOOOOOOO SORRY about our stupid council. Give me the details, as much as possible please, and I will have a look round the cemeteries for you. Can't guarantee it will be done this week but asap. Jan from GRAVESEND, Kent.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Feb 2004 23:20

May I just say that Hartlepool cemetery has been very helpful in my research and will print off details of names, dates and plot numbers immediately and at no charge and the staff are very helpful. They will even accompany you to a particular plot if you are not sure as to where to find it. WELL DONE.

Irene

Irene Report 19 Feb 2004 00:07

Well I have heard it all now, to charge to visit a cemetery whatever next. I must congratulate Box Cemetery in Wiltshire they were most help and sent us the information we wanted via email so we had about 100 years of family sent to us for free. No that's wrong it was longer 130 the last one died in the 1980's. Irene

Sinead

Sinead Report 19 Feb 2004 11:41

Hi all, Thanks Jan,I will e-mail you the details. Thankfully Gravesend seem to be in the minority!Dai the sexton at Trealaw is an absolute saint and will search anytime right through computer files and records and then take you to the plot. Luckily most seem to be Ok! Sinead

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 19 Feb 2004 14:46

Must stick up for Darlington Cemeteries they will look up fro you at no cost and even meet you at the Cemetery to show the Plot so how good is that!!! Ann,Darlington