Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deleting & Reloading GEDCOMs to update data

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 18 Feb 2004 12:37

Greetings from New Zealand. I've just joined GC & loaded my GEDCOM for the 1st time. It was from my PAF5 file. Some names, dates & data have been loaded with "unknown" and some abbreviations & codes I had originally intended for my own use. I have realised that I need to prune, tidy & make uniform the info in my PAF file. I'd like to know that if I delete my GC GEDCOM, & reload my new tidied-up file, will this affect anyone who has already linked to anyone in my tree? Or can one delete & reload their GEDCOM as often as they like? I cannot find any ref to this query. Also, I assume that one I have updated my GC Family Tree with new info, I will need to manually also enter the info into my PAF file? Is there any ability to export new info from GC to PAF via a GEDCOM? Any help or tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to many hours of research & interacting with you all !! Cheers Simon

Jackie

Jackie Report 18 Feb 2004 13:04

Not very good myself with all this technology but i'm sure someone here will be able to help you. Just wanted to say a big welcome to the site. We're a friendly, obsessed bunch. I'm sure you'll end up as mad as us! Jackie

Mystified

Mystified Report 18 Feb 2004 16:34

Hi and Welcome. I am not particularly techie but on the right side of the page are the instructions. You have to delete your tree before you reload. But be warned, this has never worked for me. However the people at GC are pretty helpful and in the end I usually send it to them to do after a lot of attempts.

Janet

Janet Report 18 Feb 2004 16:43

Simon What I do is to copy my main tree into a new file on PAF, (by clicking File and then Save As) giving it a title like "GCTree", and make the necessary alterations to that one and saving the alterations. I then create a gedcom file from this new file and upload that to GC. Hope this makes sense!

Simon

Simon Report 25 Feb 2004 11:25

Thanks to those that replied. I had thought that more of you may have commented. Regards Simon

BrianW

BrianW Report 25 Feb 2004 11:49

Having originally created my tree on GC and then constructed a PAF file, I find that they complement each other since the information fields in each are slightly different, so I do not upload the PAF file to GC in order to retain the maximum flexibility. Now that my tree is "mature" and only an average of one or two new members are added each week it is no big deal to enter them twice.