Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

which is the best free genealogy software?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 18 Feb 2004 12:08

I decided that as well as having my tree built on here i should have a back up too just in case. Cant afford right now to buy genealogy software, but i see there are a few free ones. Cant decide which is the best to go for tho, they all seem to have so many different bits. Can someone recommend the best one to start with? thanks! Julie

Janet

Janet Report 18 Feb 2004 12:13

I use the one from the LDS site - Personal Ancestry File. It does most things I need, and I find it easy to use.

Sidami

Sidami Report 18 Feb 2004 13:14

Hi Julia, I agree with Janet it is well worth using just, go to "family search" and click on free downloads, I think it is the one at the top that you want, follow instructions make sure you tick English and away you go..... Sue

Julie

Julie Report 18 Feb 2004 14:57

thanks ladies tried to download it but it keeps coming up with a connection timed out error on the download :(

Natalie

Natalie Report 18 Feb 2004 14:59

Tried downloading just to your hard drive rather then trying to install from the website sometimes helps. Then once it is on your hard drive you can install from there. Make sure you make a note of the path of where it is going to put the software on your hard drive. Your hard drive incase you don't know is your C drive. Hope this helps natalie

Julie

Julie Report 18 Feb 2004 15:10

hi natalie the problem is when i click on the download button on the lds page, it starts but after the first few seconds gives this error which says - file download not completed due to unexpected server response, cant build data connection, connection timed out so i dont even get as far as being able to install. i have tried downloading both the ftp and http options and they both give the same error julie

Natalie

Natalie Report 18 Feb 2004 15:16

Hi there, It sounds like either they are having problems on there server. Does your connection go aswell or is in just the site that goes down?

Judy

Judy Report 18 Feb 2004 15:18

Julie, Try the following and then return to the site and try again: Fixing “Website Can’t Be Found” and other Site Error Messages More than likely you have trouble with accessing quite a few sites.....particularly getting the message "website can't be found" among a few other error messages. Try the following and it should solve your problem. 1. Go to START. 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL. 3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS. 4. Change NUMBER OF DAYS TO KEEP IN HISTORY to “0” and click APPLY 5. A box appears with tabs labeled across the top. Click on ADVANCED. 6. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY. 7. Make sure the following has check marks next to it: Use USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. 8. Also make sure you check off EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILE WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED. More than likely USE TLS 1.0 is not checked of and it should be. This will give you the error messages, as well as a few others, that will prevent you from viewing web sites and the error you are getting. Make sure you empty your cookies cache as well as temporary internet files once in a while, too, as this slows down your computer. Genopro has an excellent free software program, as well at www.genopro(.)com. Judy

Julie

Julie Report 18 Feb 2004 15:43

hi judy thanks for the advice, my problem tho is not viewing websites, i am seeing everything fine. the problem is when i click on the download button on the lds site thats when i get the error, with the download itself not the website. i followed your process, the button you said probably wasnt ticked wasnt, but ticking it didnt make any difference. julie