Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please - unclaimed money

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 16 Feb 2004 22:39

Can anyone tell me how to look up, or view the huge list of people who left money that has never been claimed - I saw an article some years ago - but Im unsure how to apply - or view tha list Many Thanks

Judy

Judy Report 17 Feb 2004 00:47

Go to www(.)Google(.) and put in keyword "unfound money" or "unclaimed money." There are several different agencies in business to reunite moeny with rightful owners. You might want to try key words "Unclaimed Property as well, which covers property and estates. Judy

Paul

Paul Report 17 Feb 2004 10:48

I believe that publication such as the London Gazette and the Belfast and Edinburgh equivalents do/did have a section connected to unclaimed estates. A lot of other newspapers also had something similar. I had to go through a similar process a number of years ago when my stepfather died. Maybe a friendly legal expert could help. Any on the Boards???? Paul

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Feb 2004 11:09

Hello, Thank You for your reply. I have had a look at some of the sites - but I am right in thinking the name of where the goverment holds it is CHANCERY ???? There are many agencies willing to do this for you - but from the articles I have read it is worth everyone having a look the list - as my mother in law - has read that one of her relatives left money - but he was a bit of a hermit, and the money went to the goverment unclaimed - my mother in law only realised it was a member of her family because she has researched the family tree. I must say this particular case is in 1800 ! I know there is millions held by the goverment of money which is unclaimed - due to relatives being not being found. I only know this due to the aticle in an old family tree magazine ( I carnt find the magazine ! )

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 17 Feb 2004 14:23

Hi, I just had a quick look into this. There is the Unclaimed Assets Register www.uar(.)co.uk They charge a fee of £18.00 to do a general search and promise that 10% of the search fee goes to charity. Naomi

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Feb 2004 14:40

Thank You I will have a look, also I have discovered that there is a department of the chancery court since 1876 that has dealt with money depositied by solicitors who where unable to trace the next of kin or beneficiaries of an estate. So if you have heard of any family stories etc - and you can provide evidence of benificial interest, the details of such accounts can be inspected FREE of charge. There are also lists publicised by the London gazette which can be seen at the P.R.O. It may be worth a look if you think your family story is founded on facts, which you have substantiated by your research

Hilary

Hilary Report 17 Feb 2004 15:51

If and when you find money that you want to make a claim on, then you need to go to the Bona Vacantia website ( a government dept). Here you can download the form and this is where your genealogy skills will come in very handy. But you should know that claims have to be submitted within 12 years of the death, unless there are special circumstances. If and when you claim is accepted, you will also need to apply for Letters of Administration via the courts. How do I know all this? Last Friday (= Friday 13th) was my mother-in-law's lucky day. We originally began the application process last summer and on Friday she finally received a cheque. The long lost relative died ten years ago, so it was just by luck that I picked up this hobby. Even my teenagers are now a bit more impressed than before....and my mother-in-law thinks I'm marvellous!

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Feb 2004 17:22

What a wonderful story ! Mine is a bit more difficult as it dates back to the 1800s !!!!!!