Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed please - Faversham, Kent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 15 Feb 2004 11:13

Hi all, On visiting the records office in Lewes yesterday, I found that my relative, Samuel Pope, who was married in Ewhurst, East Sussex in 1810, wasn't in fact from the county but from the parish of Faversham (Feversham) Kent. I have searched the IGI for records of his birth, but unfortunately couldn't find his birth in Faversham, although there were a couple of Samuel Popes from villages reasonably close nearby. So, my dilemma is: how do I tell which one is him (if any), and is there any way of finding out the parish boundaries of Faversham in the late 1700s? Thanks in advance for your advice! Karen (confused of Bracknell)

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 15 Feb 2004 11:16

Karen I live not far from Faversham, and have family who live there. What villages have you got, that you think may be near? I'll tell you if they are, well i'll try anyway. Lynda

Karen

Karen Report 15 Feb 2004 11:30

Hi Lynda Many thanks for your help! The possible Samuel Pope births I have are: 1779, Challock 1784, Egerton 1786, Brenchley I'm not sure if any of these places would be within the parish of Faversham at that time. I also have 1794 in Folkestone, but I think this one is unlikely. best wishes, Karen

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 15 Feb 2004 11:41

Karen Folkestone is too far away to be considered near Faversham about 25 miles away, as is Brenchley nearly 40 miles away. Challock is about 6 miles and Egerton 14 miles, so Challock is the nearest. Don't know if you know but Faversham is a very historical Town. They have there own website, if you'd like to have a look the address is http://www(.)faversham(.)org/history/index(.)asp remove brackets Hope this is useful. Lynda

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Feb 2004 11:50

I would of thought Faversham would come more under Canterbury, than Folkestone. Folkestone is quite a distance from Faversham.

Karen

Karen Report 15 Feb 2004 11:53

Thanks again Lynda, enjoy your Sunday - k

Chris

Chris Report 14 May 2004 05:31

Lynda, Found this thread on Faversham Kent. My grandfather William Rickwood was born there in 1888. His father also William Rickwood was born 1867 in Faversham. Thanks for the web address - looks like a lovely place to stay if I make a long awaited return visit to England. This new search facility is great.